Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I might share the final push to complete a build of an all-out GTV.
Is this a good place to publish this?
Anyone interested?

I plan to run this car this year, enough to dial it in, then it will be for sale.

Pictures and discussion will follow...

Steve

·
Registered
375 Posts
I am interested. Certainly! Good as place as any.

Pictures please.

Steve, what's your background with alfas and gtvs? What's the backstory with this particular car? To what race organization rules are you building too?

Regards,

·
Premium Member
22,413 Posts
I'm getting a new 1600 together for my track (CSRG) Super and doing other upgrades at the same time; I'm interested for sure.
Andrew

·
Richard Jemison
7,781 Posts
A Foggy build

I thought I might share the final push to complete a build of an all-out GTV.
Is this a good place to publish this?
Anyone interested?

I plan to run this car this year, enough to dial it in, then it will be for sale.

Pictures and discussion will follow...

Steve
OH BOY!:p

How`s our Lotus comming along??

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Richard. This project has my full attention. Lotus not allowed to be addressed until this one's on its way.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Pictures...

Not really the easiest to place pictures. Suggestions?

Below, the engine bay. Cold air on right, picks up air that side of radiator. Will mill the openings for air horns once engine installed.

Wilwood remote brake masters on driver adjusted balance driven by shortened Alfa pedals

Oil cooler with shrouding picks up cool air left of radiator.

Milling openings in dash panel to view brake fluid reservoirs

more. lots more tomorrow.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
more pics more headway

New Rear wheel bearings and rebuilt rear calipers with fresh disks.
Scrounged old set of partially used metallic rear pads to start process of getting car balanced.
Fresh very high temp pads ready for fronts.
Starting on engine assembly.
Note location of brake reservoirs.
48mm DCOE Webers get custom throttle drive assemblies.
Head has v large valves, cleaned up ports and stout racing springs and will get some of R. Jemison's finer camshafts.

Stay tuned. More to come.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am very excited to see how this goes (not to buy, sorry, mine is just coming together). This looks like it will be another incredible Alfa!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ongoing build. the devil is in the details.

more work on the car

Actually, the devil is how much time these custom parts take to create then fabricate.

Ask questions... Please.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
a couple more pictures.

I could give a running commentary, but this BB does not make a proper document creation very easy to make nice.

Anyone want a running commentary??

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I'd be interested in reading comments on why and how, certainly.

That's the same place we went to for the oil cooler, except mounted horizontally - works well and temps seem more stable cf having it in front of the radiator (pre-heater style).

I take it this won't be for historic racing (or your rules might be more accomodating than ours!).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not much room for placing the cooler horizontally
rules are varied for the many sanctioning groups. This is a production car, and brakes rules are written in various ways.

the bonnet in these cars blooms up like a 'bonnet' at speed. Big low pressure area. Might like to vent the oil cooler there, though usually that's against rules. Tempting.

I'm generally building a strong, stiff, good handling car. If a buyer speaks up and desires adherence to a specific set of rules for his local sanctioning group, I can do that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
more of the build.... the motor at last buttoned.

See images of the cyl head going together. Cams going in. Timing. buttoning up.

Carbs come a bit later.... need new screws for throttles, then assembly. A little more grinding to match the port bores. Stock Alfa throttle works fine. Used them for 40 years, now on race cars...
You'll see some nice parts going into the final assembly.

Next, I will go through a transmission, with the usual number of photos.

Next after that... Sanding, smoothing, sanding, painting, painting, painting...

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cyl head #2

Oh well, I've lost the pics of the degree wheel on and timing the cams. I use a quite accurate dial indicator and large degree wheel for accurate results.

Cams are R. Jemison's 550 intake and 472 Exhaust timing fell in as per desired 104 and 106 lobe centers. > .05 piston to valve clearances using the wire tie method.

Suggestions on plugs?? Anyone? Will use Crane optically fired electronic ignition mounted in the Bosch distributor. I used to use a pretty arcane Bosch plug with a surface gap for racing, only.... when crank fired with Electromotive.... but this car will be vintage legal.

Pictures will have to follow. I'll open the top of the head again, to pre-oil before running.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
clutch mounting

some nice parts comprise the 7 1/4 inch AP racing assembly w very light, 1# dd along with the 7#(?) flywheel, 4# pp, 2# pp surface, etc.

Note the ravages of racing on transmission parts... the layshaft drive gear of the input shaft a little smoothed over, makes for memories w each clutch installation!

please ask questions.... I'll be doing this for a bit more time...
Steve

Attachments

1 - 20 of 59 Posts