Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading through older threads about 101 Giulia Spiders, and came across a discussion started by BBer Chris Cottes back in 2013. He stated that according to the Centro de Documentazione Storica, (in by a letter signed by the long-since reassigned, though fondly-remembered, Elvirah), his Giulia Spider 10123, chassis AR379049, was built on May 2, 1964, and delivered to La Société Française Alfa Romeo in Paris on May 20; curious. My 1964 Giulia Spider, AR 379356, was built on April 15, 1964, and sold to Alfa Romeo of North America on July 16, 1964. Mine preceded his by 307 Alfa somethings?

How were VIN's assigned back in the day? I would have thought that Giulia Spider 379049 would have been built before Giulia Spider 379356. Mine, and I assume his, as well, are both Normales, though I don't remember when the 64-65 Veloces were produced. Is there any reason to suspect that the info we all received from Centro de Documentazione might not be correct.? Marco, and his replacement, gave me the same build date and particulars, some four years apart.

Ray

·
Administrator
3,814 Posts
Hi Ray

My take on this is that cars were built sequentially, but were batch built in a variety of colours and the more regular colours, red & white were more or less on constant order from Hoffman + the Concessionaires, while the more unusual colours like black or baby blue took a little longer to sell, so those bodies tended to hang about a bit in the body bank while the orders for the popular colours were filled pronto pronto

A look at Patrick Hung & Andrew Watry's excellent register here --> Classic Alfa Romeo Registry - Spider, reveals the build dates that people have submitted. Go and have a look at my '60 Spider 1495*10990 with a build date of 15 July '60 originally in baby blue / Celeste, 2 lines down is 11111 in black with a build date of 28 November '60 and yet 3 lines below that is 10302 also in black but with an 8 August '60 build date - I submit that black wasn't the most popular colour back in the day and that when the order was received, 10302 was more readily accessible in the body bank than 11111, so got built first.

There are of course other factors that could have come into play, a shortage of parts held a car back, perhaps some damage on the line which necessitated a trip to the repair area, or even the possibility that 11111 could have been pulled from the line purely for audit purposes. A decade ago I worked for Delta Motor Corporation which became GM South Africa and there was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing in the body bank at times & I did many audits on vehicles pulled at random from the line. The B-line repair area was also in constant flux and a parts shortage guaranteed that the parking area on the banking at the back of the plant filled up with 99% completed vehicles rather quickly and getting these out was always a case of last in first out in un-jamming the log pile

While not perhaps 'the' definitive answer, it's a glimpse behind the scenes as to what really goes on behind the gates and a plausible explanation of why some units were dispatched out the door ahead of others.

Aye
Greig

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Greig,

That makes so much sense. At one time, I was considering an Audi S4 convertible, but wanted one in Dakar Beige Metallic (a non-standard S4 color). While the interior color would have to be black or white, Audi USA said no problem. However, it would not be built until the factory had scheduled to paint cars that color and it would add an additional month to the wait time, at least. Strangely enough, it was not going to increase the price of the car; go figure.

Thanks,

Ray

·
Administrator
3,814 Posts
Hi Stuart

Yes I knew that 11111 was your Cali car & to be honest I'm not sure of exactly why one was built ahead of another, 11302 was also a Veloce built 3 months ahead of your 11111 and only 191 cars apart, that was 8 or 9 days production back then

Until Luigi on the line volunteers some more info, it's just speculation and educated guesstimates with some deductive logic thrown in.

Ciao
Greig

1 - 5 of 5 Posts