Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am looking to get another Alfa, and moving to Atlanta. I have owned many an Alfa and looking to replace my aging 164. Suddenly a 159 strikes me as a cool car to buy. Yet, getting one in the US? Imported from Canada may be possible, but rust from the great white north may be a issue. Any ideas fellas?

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
25 years old or a really, really good friend in the DMV. Also in Atlanta and the surrounding counties it has to pass emissions testing to get a tag.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I did think of Mexico.I wonder how much of a hassle it would be to get a tag un the US. Any state would do. Then it could be transferred to Georgia. I bet emissions would be similar to US specs.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
I thought I had already posted on this thread but cannot see it, so I'll have another go.

156 > 159

So I recommend looking for a 156 not a 159. A 159 is a GM car clothed by Alfa Romeo and therefore there is way too much GM in a 159 resulting in things like apparently not so good gearchange. A 156 on the other hand has a FIAT gearbox with a wonderful change.

Also the 156 in v6 form has the Busso 24v engine, while the v6 in the 159 is a GM engine :(
Pete

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I thought I had already posted on this thread but cannot see it, so I'll have another go.

156 > 159

So I recommend looking for a 156 not a 159. A 159 is a GM car clothed by Alfa Romeo and therefore there is way too much GM in a 159 resulting in things like apparently not so good gearchange. A 156 on the other hand has a FIAT gearbox with a wonderful change.

Also the 156 in v6 form has the Busso 24v engine, while the v6 in the 159 is a GM engine :(
Pete

The 159 is a far, far better built car (and I own a 156)
The Guilietta QV craps all over both of them, most fun I've had since my first Alfa (a '76 Sud Ti)

That said, I imagine the Guilia is fairly amazing, and where my money/effort would be if I lived in the states (where they're so cheap, comparatively)

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Yeah, I did think of Mexico.I wonder how much of a hassle it would be to get a tag un the US. Any state would do. Then it could be transferred to Georgia. I bet emissions would be similar to US specs.
The VIN number would not be in the system.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
The 159 is a far, far better built car (and I own a 156)
The Guilietta QV craps all over both of them, most fun I've had since my first Alfa (a '76 Sud Ti)
Build quality, while important, are not that high on my buying list ... heck I'd never have bought any Alfa Romeo otherwise ;) :D

I just could not own an Alfa with a poor gear change, and a Holden Commodore engine. IMO the 159 is not an Alfa Romeo ... no Alfa Romeo engine, no Alfa Romeo gearbox, platform is GM (YUCK) ... unlike the 156v6 which actually has an Alfa engine, the only thing Alfa on a 159 is the badge, but it is a nice looking GM model.
That said, I imagine the Guilia is fairly amazing, and where my money/effort would be if I lived in the states (where they're so cheap, comparatively)
I've now had close up looks at the Guilia and yes I'm sure it is a wonderful driver but it is HUGE and front so high ... must be pushing some serious air. I guess this is modern safety laws or something, but I prefer the more delicate/feminine look of my 156.
Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts