Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as I am sure there are some fanitics here, on dealing with the finish of you car. I am asking for a concensus, of whether it worth spending near $200 on a buffer( I am looking at the Makita 9227c) or whether the cheaper ones less then $100, will do just a s good a job...

Bob

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Bob:

I bought a Milwaukee. You need a thread adapter to fit the big fat polishing wheels. Low RPM. Works very well and heavy duty. Worth the money. Try Amazon.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
When our car club visited a detailing shop, we were told a good low RPM tool is key for not burning paint. I guess a paint job would probably cost you more than the $100 difference for the tool.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Hi BobK and welcome to the AlfaBB. There is a "Detailing" category within the "Miscellaneous Forums" header that may have some info on buffers if you do a search there.

My opinion (FWIW) is that if you don't have A LOT of experience with a "high speed rotary buffer"... DON"T BUY ONE!!! Instead, go with a "random orbital buffer". The random orbital buffer is much, much safer for your paint and will give you OUTSTANDING results.

Porter-Cable and Griots Garage sell very good quality random orbital buffers. In fact, I think the one offered by Griots is made by Porter-Cable. They are both electric. You may want to consider Griot's pneumatic random orbital buffer (if you have a good air compressor) as they are lighter and somewhat quieter.

And to answer your original question... Yes, it is definitely worth spending $200 on a good random orbital buffer (instead of less than $100). As usual, you get what you pay for.

I would not buy the Makita (regardless of low RPMs) as it is not a random orbital buffer.

Hope that helps.

·
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I am not experenced, so I will look at the low rpm models. and the comment about the price of a paint job. is well taken. I will check out the models suggested, and I will also check the detailing forum, I had looked, but didn't see one before, but I am blind in one ear, and can't see out of the other...thanks all

bob

·
Registered
812 Posts
Hi BobK and welcome to the AlfaBB. There is a "Detailing" category within the "Miscellaneous Forums" header that may have some info on buffers if you do a search there.

My opinion (FWIW) is that if you don't have A LOT of experience with a "high speed rotary buffer"... DON"T BUY ONE!!! Instead, go with a "random orbital buffer". The random orbital buffer is much, much safer for your paint and will give you OUTSTANDING results.

Porter-Cable and Griots Garage sell very good quality random orbital buffers. In fact, I think the one offered by Griots is made by Porter-Cable. They are both electric. You may want to consider Griot's pneumatic random orbital buffer (if you have a good air compressor) as they are lighter and somewhat quieter.

And to answer your original question... Yes, it is definitely worth spending $200 on a good random orbital buffer (instead of less than $100). As usual, you get what you pay for.

I would not buy the Makita (regardless of low RPMs) as it is not a random orbital buffer.

Hope that helps.
I agree with the above post. I have had a Griots/Porter Cable random orbital for about 10 years and it is still going strong (no connection to Griots etc.). The key is NOT to buy a cheap rotary buffer and NOT to use wool or cotton pads with aggressive polishes. What you are trying to do is prevent localized heat buildup which can burn through your paint in the worst case. Beyond that, there are many good random orbital buffers out there and many good polish and wax products from various manufacturers. Remember, start with as gentle of a product as you can at first at low speed and keep the buffer moving. You can always get more aggressive but you can't go the other way.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I highly recommend the Porta-cable but make sure you tighten the nut that holds the buffing pad each time before using it.

·
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK. sounds like good advice...I now am not getting this car til saturday. I have been told the paint is new, but not finished. so who knows how long it has been drying...(EBAY,YOU KNOW) anyway. I will look, and hopefully be able to makd a good dicision...thanks for the help, I see you guys are going to be a good resource.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts