Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 312 Posts

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after about a year of scrounging parts, i have started a v6 conversion for my 87 spider graduate. previous mods were shankle springs, eibach sway bar, serpent autosport fender flares w/ 15x8 1/2 centerlines wearing 225-50 rubber. i will using a 3.0 verde motor w/ mild head porting, alquati spec cams, and megasquirt 2 controlling fuel and spark. i located an alfa sei short block and was planning on a welded bellhousing. maybe still, but thats a long story. i also plan on cleaning the rear up w/ an early stainless bumper, no rear spoiler, and taillight mods. i will be doing most of the work myself. i have been following streetfame's very impressive project, but my direction [and budget] are different, more 60's. two kids in college and a 37 yr old sailboat see to that. i can't believe how much rotten wood a fiberglass boat can have. hopefully i can be back on the road by the end of the year but who knows. i will give it my best shot

Attachments

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
a couple of more photos of the process . these are about 5 months old. the 2liter has been pulled and the engine bay seriously degreased. now i am waiting to retrieve my bellhousing from the welder, who has diddappeared, along with said bellhousing. i really hope i dont have to do this over. photos after cut and machining flat

Attachments

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Good project! Just be aware that the rear spoiler is actually functional and not cosmetic...

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Yeah, it keeps the tail on the ground at speeds approaching 135:D

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good project! Just be aware that the rear spoiler is actually functional and not cosmetic...

Best regards,
that is probably correct but all options are on the table. i just am trying to clean up the rear to work with the early bumper and be a little less 80's

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it keeps the tail on the ground at speeds approaching 135:D
i hate to admit i've never had an alfa over 110. i did go from fort stockton, tx to pecos, n.m. at 105 to 110 for 150 miles with a large luggage carrier on the roof of a gtv6. it started at the front and slid all the way the rear and luckily stayed on.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
that is probably correct but all options are on the table. i just am trying to clean up the rear to work with the early bumper and be a little less 80's
Less '80s, but you are going to a V-6?

I do agree that the clean rear and early metal bumper is more appealing.

I have to admit that even before I joined the BB I dreamed of converting to a V-6 with my '79 spider. I have decided to move forward with the resto keeping it original.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
early styling w/ v6 sound. actually i would use carbs but for emissions. i have always lusted after the old front engine sport racers of the 60's

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
early styling w/ v6 sound. actually i would use carbs but for emissions. i have always lusted after the old front engine sport racers of the 60's
eye to eye...

One of the guys at work has a Subaru Stx, or some such, he has spent a bunch of money on lately, and it is fast! He said he had never been in an Alfa, so we went to lunch Wednesday in my 164 S. I wound it up pretty tight for him, several times, and he went on and on and on all the rest of the day about the Alfa sound!

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have had my 91 164s for 10 yrs. you dont know how tempted i was to pull the s motor for the spider, but sanity prevailed[somewhat]. it is safe again

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Nice. I got my 164S about 6 months ago, and I can't remember when I have had a car I love as much as that one. But I am just few weeks away from getting my Milano Platinum running with S cams in it's 2.5 and things may change once she is up and running. But no matter how much you sex up a Milano it will just never be as lovely as a 164.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
i hate to admit i've never had an alfa over 110. i did go from fort stockton, tx to pecos, n.m. at 105 to 110 for 150 miles with a large luggage carrier on the roof of a gtv6. it started at the front and slid all the way the rear and luckily stayed on.
You are probably too recently subscribed to have been exposed to the thread to which I referred - (and you're probably better off for it!) :)
FWIW I'm not sure if there are many bbers here who could claim to have gone over 135 in a Spider - the Besics, and a few others certainly have...

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
p.s.

I go over 110 quite frequently in the Jr. Z - of course, that's km/h!!:D:D

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i may have hit 90 a couple of times in my spider. 135 would be tough and no way with the previous 2.0. but i am rethinking the spoiler but loosing the big taillights and other trim that goes with it. i am a pretty fair body guy so it shouldn't be too hard. famous last words. the jr z is a slick ride. i am definately jealous

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
test fit

i lowered the mockup motor in the engine bay. man it looks big. most everything seems to clear. the main crossmember front lip will need to be rolled back as the rear edge of the oil sump hits and the motor needs to go about half to 3/4 inch back. it also appears i will be able to use mounts that will avoid having to do any welding. i also included some photos of the radiator i had already been using before to prepare for the swap

Attachments

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
My 164S will do 135 and not even think twice. The driver on the other hand...Well... I didn't hold it there for long.

Looks like it will fit in there OK. Not much room for the induction. Keep us posted on progress.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my 164 really has only seen fast highway miles as has the spider. had the spider at hallet motor speedway for some fast parade laps at alfa deco at tulsa 2-3 years ago. don't know how fast as my speedo was broke[again]. hopefully this week i can track down the spider monkey on crack welder who has my bellhousing

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Fantastic to see another V6 Spider project!!!

Alfavulcan, can I suggest that you fit the cam sprockets and their protective covers to make sure that the motor is at least 1/2 inch from the bonnet in it's current position - due to the slope of the Spider bonet, that's the most critical clearance point.

If the Verde intake seems too tall, at least you have your 164S intake that you could measure up & check bonnet clearance (this seems to be the induction system of choice by many who have done such a project).

Also consider asking an exhaust place over to see what they think of the room re. the headers that have to be made (but do this after you have the bellhousing dummied up so that they can see the space that they have to play with). They may suggest moving the motor further forward / back / sideways etc, or ask for some extra clearance requiring body mods.

And best of luck with the bellhousing (it looks like the Alfa Sei sump is going to make it sooo much easier for you!).

Dino

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks, dino. i just checked my hood cleareance w/ cam sprockets and it clears easily. the sei pan is really the key without chopping up the crossmember or custom fabrication. now if i could find a sei transmission and/or bellhousing i would [as we say in texas] be in high cotton. but i am closing in on my final solution soon. george

1 - 20 of 312 Posts