Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm posting this because I find it amusing, not because I'm advocating it. And, no, it isn't my car, I didn't build the engine, .... I've never even seen the thing firsthand!

This picture came from ebay auction 140132081614. The seller doesn't know much about the engine, but commented that it has had some "race tuning modifications done" (I assume he isn't referring to the bungee cord holding on the Spica airbox).

I am guessing that someone got fed up with leaks from the 6 passages through the headgasket that supply oil to the cam bearings, and came up with this brute force solution. It looks like he plugged the oil passages in the block, drilled & tapped the cam cover bolts for AN fittings, drilled the upper cam caps, installed these flex oil lines, .... A fix that probably cost 10X the time and money that it would have taken to simply seal the head gasket with split pins & O rings (yea, I know - split pins are controversial).

Ya gotta love brute force solutions - can't you imagine this guy losing his temper when his newly installed head gasket started leaking oil from the cam bearing passages, and saying: "&^%$#@$ it! I'm gonna fix this thing once and for all!"

Attachments

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
yeah i bet he said that, or he was tripping on acid and though the head cover looked very "complicated" let's make it more simple

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've seen several Alfa race engines with external coolant lines plumbed into the middle ofo the head, but those external oil lines are something else, and as mentioned, much more complicated/expensive than the proper solution would have been. The original 6-cyl Jaguar engines did have external plumbing for oil to the cam bearings, though, but it was an elegant hard line that ran up the back of the block and one had to look for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts