Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got up the courage to let him rip after carefully driving around for a few weeks, waiting for the inevitable oil or coolant leak (he's been off the road for close to two years as near as I can tell). No problems except the plugs fouling a bit driving too slowly. Needs new plugs and wires and perhaps a new fuel filter (wonder where that is?).

Pointed his nose west, out of town on a hilly, twisting and lumpy quiet back road and floored it. It didn't seem like he was as grunty as the old 164 I had back in the 1990's or even my wifes' Fairmont, but then I looked down at the speedo climbing north of (mumble very illegal) and still winding. A total lack of drama is the only sensation I can recall. The brakes are fabulous (stock, just renewed). Big pullups, time after time, no fade and again no drama.

Bruno was making that funky noise somewhere between Nascar and Ferrari, soaking up the big bumps and still showing plenty of composure where that 1996 Ford would have been in a ditch. Steering still isn't perfect (skinny, bad quality tyres on original rims) but no shakes, shimmies or other issues, just a slightly remote feeling. Auto box is shifting fine, although I still haven't changed the filthy tranny fluid. It's probably time to do that.

Amazing car for something from the decade of big hair and rear drive Corollas.

·
1991 164L
27,687 Posts
I finally got up the courage to let him rip after carefully driving around for a few weeks, waiting for the inevitable oil or coolant leak (he's been off the road for close to two years as near as I can tell). No problems except the plugs fouling a bit driving too slowly. Needs new plugs and wires and perhaps a new fuel filter (wonder where that is?).

Pointed his nose west, out of town on a hilly, twisting and lumpy quiet back road and floored it. It didn't seem like he was as grunty as the old 164 I had back in the 1990's or even my wifes' Fairmont, but then I looked down at the speedo climbing north of (mumble very illegal) and still winding. A total lack of drama is the only sensation I can recall. The brakes are fabulous (stock, just renewed). Big pullups, time after time, no fade and again no drama.

Bruno was making that funky noise somewhere between Nascar and Ferrari, soaking up the big bumps and still showing plenty of composure where that 1996 Ford would have been in a ditch. Steering still isn't perfect (skinny, bad quality tyres on original rims) but no shakes, shimmies or other issues, just a slightly remote feeling. Auto box is shifting fine, although I still haven't changed the filthy tranny fluid. It's probably time to do that.

Amazing car for something from the decade of big hair and rear drive Corollas.

So did it put a smile on your face?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts