Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps not as much of a demand as knowing the wheel color, but the tri-gauge outer ring's bronze paint is pretty iffy.

Does anyone have a really close match in a very universal rattle-can bronze? The tri-gauge's center bronze paint is pretty good so hoping not to have to also repaint it.

Brand and specific color would be much appreciated.

·
Administrator
3,805 Posts
Noted restorer Bill Gillham uses one of the Krylon Brands - he mentioned it on the 750/101 Group several years ago.

I'll ask him to comment here

Another source of info would be Matt Hamilton of Giuliettas.com, who has restored many sets of gauges.

Ciao
Greig

·
Administrator
3,805 Posts
Reply from Bill:

"I really don’t think it’s bronze but a dull aluminum color, the bronze is the same yellowing process that causes the wheels to turn greenish. I use Krylon Dull Aluminum Looks right to me.

Ciao,

Bill"​

Here are 2 pictures he sent, unrestored and restored gauges

Seeing as Bill is the Spider Guru and has won countless awards, I'll defer to him anytime.

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Biba,
I don't really think the rim was bronze, thou I have seen yellowed silver rings that looked sort of bronze. My 62 Spider (Now in Australia), had original gauges and was one of those never sat out in the sun cars, the rings were a dull silver. I matched it with krylon Dull Aluminum.
Attached is a picture of those gauges, they were never restored (Never out of the dash as long as I have known the car, which is more than 30 years). That's the original paint on the dash too. Also attached is a picture of restored gauges on a '58 Veloce using dull Aluminum.

Silvers of the period were not very stable, witness the greenish Silver wheels you see sometimes.
Ciao,
Bill Gillham
Jefferson Oregon.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Two NOS gauges

Not mine, for illustration only. No sign of a bronze tint anywhere ...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel that the tri-gauge is the key one to go by since the center Y is painted the same color as the rings. I'm quite sure that the outer rings have all faded from the sun, but the Y being both inset and flat is probably the closest to original color.

The first gauge is one that my client supplied with the '58 750 Spider. I believe he bought it on eBay so have no idea who restored the set. No doubt the bronze is brighter than original, but certainly closer that a dull silver.

When you tilt the instrument so that it isn't in direct daylight (the second one was shot under my shop's skylight) you see that it isn't silver but has a slight reddish hue. The second one did not come with the pristine plastic insert.

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Biba,

I used plasti-kote Honda 5317 on my divider and rings.

It was a reasonably close match to the best of the rings I had, and to the color Palo Alto used to restore my speedo and tach faces, maybe just a little too bright.

Joe

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Joe, the faces and rings/Y(divider) are a different color than the faces. The faces are definitely silver. However, I do appreciate your post.

Or...am I making too big of a deal about this and they all should be silver?

What throws me is that someone knew what he was doing when restoring (rebuilding?) the client's three instruments. The rear of the instruments are as pristine as the faces. Meaning he obviously used a different color than on the tach and speedo faces 'for some reason'.

I should say here that my term, bronze for the color of those gauges, probably isn't correct.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Biba,

If we agree that the divider and rings are "bronze", for want of a better word, then I do not believe it makes sense for the dial faces to have been silver.
I believe the silver we are accustomed to seeing is because the original color of the faces (silk screened?) has almost completely bleached out, letting the silver paint underneath show through.
Hopefully the attached picture is clear enough to show the gradation to some of the original color in the protected area under the numeral rings. All the instruments I have show this same pattern, and I believe the outer fringe is an approximation to the original face color.

Additionally, the bronze tint of the instruments would have matched the gold icons on the Giulietta control knobs.
After these instruments were super ceded by the later ones, the knobs also logically changed from gold to silver.

As I mentioned, when Palo Alto restored a speedo and tach for me they made the faces bronze. I think they went a little too bright, but I believe they were doing the right thing.

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unobservant me. I thought about asking if the gauges were silver for Giulias and gold for Giuliettas. Then I looked at the '58 Spider Veloce gauges...

I'm doubting this, but is it at all possible that the upper transition Giulia gauges are just that? In that the 1600 Giulia's are all silver? I've not had one in the shop.

Obviously the roundels on the speedo and tach are gold for the '58 and silver for the '62. While the background on the upper gauge looks similar to the lower 'goldish'(?) one, but up close and in the outside shade they are definitely different.

I took the upper left's outer ring to match paint and it was gold. It matches a largeish aluminum pop-rivet I sprayed very closely, but not remotely any of the tri-gauge Y's.

Meaning, I still don't have the 'correct' paint for the Giulia's outer rings nor Y. To muddy it a bit, I'm somewhat inclined to believe the outer rings and tri-gauge Y are (might be) different colors.

Since I have a lot of different silver paint, I might go with one of them. Unfortunately, I'm still stuck with the Veloce gauge's rings.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts