Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was driving around a roundabout, there was a huge hole (the guys building a new road to a new hospital cut through the tarmac and didn't cover a huge hole in the dirt) I couldn't see until it was too late. It was a huge jerk but I didn't notice any damage at the time.

Today I finally fitted the new turbo pipe and as expected, the engine got less air at idle because the other pipe leaked so bad, so I took it to the guy that fixed it the last time. The minute he saw the cair he said "you've got a blown tire", I answered "no... I don't", "then you've got a broken spring".

So now I've got to find a new spring but he warned me the turbo uses weaker springs than the more common V6 2.0 TB. He said the springs on the Thema are the same but that's still too little: there aren't many Themas around.

Does anyone have a cross reference to some other car that has the same spring? ePer isn't working too good today. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
27,379 Posts
I doubt Lancia springs the same. The correct spring according to ePer is 60511575 for 4 cyl 164s and 2.0 V6 before chassis 6220324 for V6 2.0 models.

Previous number was 60511558. Only listed for 164 not Lancia.

Lancia struts different than 164 ones me thinks. More like Saab 9000 I think.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strange, the mechanic I talked to used to be head of the local Alfa Romeo shop that closed years ago. He said they were exactly the same.

Anyway, I went hunting springs today. On one place they said they could only find a replacement if I took them the old spring which is still in the car. On the other place, they told me they'd get a Thema this week and I could have the springs for 25€ each. I had a look around and found two engines just like mine and three twin cams. And they did have the turbo pipe I needed.

I'll have a talk with the mechanic tomorrow about that issue Steve, thanks for warning me about it.

·
Premium Member
27,379 Posts
I am not saying they won't interchange but just that eper does not indicate they are the same.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not saying they won't interchange but just that eper does not indicate they are the same.
I know what you mean: when two cars are made by the same manufacturers group and use the same chassis, one would expect parts to be the same, yet the numbers don't match.

Anyway, the Thema is due to arrive to the breaker's yard this week and we'll soon find out. While I'm at it, I'll ask for a oil level sender. I just didn't find where the **** thing is. Maybe on the filter assembly?

On the interchanging issue, I've already got a VW thermostat on mine. Wonder why they used such a different thermostat on the V6. The more common type mine uses seems to work just fine.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No good deed comes unpunished.

Today my mother asked me to check why the brakes warning light on the Citroen was flicking. I did check it and the fluid level was too low, don't know why. Just after I topped up the fluid I saw a pinhole leak on the radiator. As I squeezed the hot water hose, the whole inlet broke off the radiator. Just my luck.

Now the 164 is stuck with the broken spring and the Citroen is stuck with a broken radiator. I did epoxy the inlet in place but I don't expect it to hold with the heat and pressure. Tomorrow I'm going to buy a new radiator and hopefully, new coils.

·
Premium Member
9,814 Posts
No good deed comes unpunished.

Today my mother asked me to check why the brakes warning light on the Citroen was flicking. I did check it and the fluid level was too low, don't know why. Just after I topped up the fluid I saw a pinhole leak on the radiator. As I squeezed the hot water hose, the whole inlet broke off the radiator. Just my luck.

Now the 164 is stuck with the broken spring and the Citroen is stuck with a broken radiator. I did epoxy the inlet in place but I don't expect it to hold with the heat and pressure. Tomorrow I'm going to buy a new radiator and hopefully, new coils.
I can get you a spring if needed. No problem.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can get you a spring if needed. No problem.
It's been a busy day. First thing: borrowing the diesel ZX to find a radiator for the petrol ZX. Went to a wrecker's yard and first they couldn't find the shorter radiator for the smaller engines, just one 20 cm wider. It would fit but I'd have to buy a new fan holder. Got the right size for 30€, installed and bleeded the circuit in under an hour, not bad.

In the afternoon I've been to the other wrecker's yard and the Thema still hadn't arrived. Had a look around and found a 9000. Called the mechanic to ask if it would fit, he said the shocks on the Saab were different from the 164 and those on the Thema were just the same as the 164. I'm expecting a call when the Thema arrives.

How much would the spring cost me, including postage? I'm getting both springs for 50€.

·
Premium Member
9,814 Posts
It's been a busy day. First thing: borrowing the diesel ZX to find a radiator for the petrol ZX. Went to a wrecker's yard and first they couldn't find the shorter radiator for the smaller engines, just one 20 cm wider. It would fit but I'd have to buy a new fan holder. Got the right size for 30€, installed and bleeded the circuit in under an hour, not bad.

In the afternoon I've been to the other wrecker's yard and the Thema still hadn't arrived. Had a look around and found a 9000. Called the mechanic to ask if it would fit, he said the shocks on the Saab were different from the 164 and those on the Thema were just the same as the 164. I'm expecting a call when the Thema arrives.

How much would the spring cost me, including postage? I'm getting both springs for 50€.
e-mail me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts