Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The speedo on my S1 1750 starts at 10mph (when stopped) and works intermittently up to about 35mph where it stops again. Before I start pulling things apart I thought I would seek some advice. Any input appreciated.

Need to fix it before I get pinged by the radar.

Cheers,
Wazza.
:)

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
I have the same problem with the speedometer in my '69 Spider, so I hope advice is forthcoming.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Remove the inner cable and check that the squared ends which take the drive are still, in fact, square. Sometimes, if the end become rounded and the cable is lacking lubrication, the friction at low speeds allows the cable to accept torsion but at higher speeds it gives up the ghost.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
In my case, the odometer works fine; the problem is solely with the speedometer.

Reactions: au-yt

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I'll be interested to hear any approaches other than a systematic check of both ends of the cable, the gear "takeoff" on the driving end and the speedo on the other end. I'd start in the middle - the cable, and the easiest end to start on is the one suggested by Stuart. I'm not sure how you know the odometer is working but maybe it is driving slow also, meaning that his idea has merit?

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
I'm not sure how you know the odometer is working but maybe it is driving slow also, meaning that his idea has merit?
The second Sunday of every month the Connecticut Alfa Club meets for brunch at a restaurant that is 25 miles from my house according to MapQuest. I own five cars; four Alfas plus a daily driver. Irrespective of which car I drive, including the '69 Spider, the respective odometers record approximately 25 miles (or 40 km in the case of the two Euro-spec Alfas). Also, when I drive faster than 35 mph, which is where the speedometer stops, the odometer continues to record. I'll check the cable, but I doubt if that is the problem.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
My speedo works fine. But it also starts at 10 mph. There is a steel pin that holds the needle there! Nothing wrong with that - been that way since new in 1967.

Robert

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
My speedo works fine. But it also starts at 10 mph. There is a steel pin that holds the needle there! Nothing wrong with that - been that way since new in 1967.
All Alfa speedometers do that. The issue is why does a speedometer stop at 35 mph.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input guys. I hope the cable is the culprit as it's the easiest fix. I haven't actually been watching the odo to see if it's working. I'll check it out this week and post the results.

Cheers,
Wazza.
:D

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Mea culpa....oddometer is not a word we use and in haste I didn't twig its significance. However if the numerals are still turning and the needle stops turning then it would appear to be an internal fault in the transfer drive. Its very easy and no cost to check the cable and lubricate so at least you have peace of mind on that score.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts