Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm just a brute, but I've now ruined two sets of plug wires by having the wire separate from the plug socket when pulling them from the engine. I always pull from the black housing (even use pliers to get a good grip) and still manage to separate the wire from the orange socket. I was considering putting some epoxy in the gap between the black dust cover and the orange socket to really secure them together, but I'm not sure that the epoxy would hold up to the heat.

Am I just doomed to buy new plug wires every time I check the spark plugs? This is getting expensive.

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
7,590 Posts
See if the plug socket doesn`t have a screw type fitting in it that the wire simply screws in to connect.

·
Premium Member
14,297 Posts
You can buy pliers that are specifically for pulling spark plug boots and they work. You can also lubricate the inside of the boot and/or the spark plug insulator with dialectric grease.

·
Premium Member
16,072 Posts
Or, maybe use just a slight dab of antiseize grease on the tip of the plug before installation? I think it is conductive.

·
Registered
323 Posts
These aftermarket wire sets look the part, but are far from the original bosch in quality. Fittings are designed to screw into the end of the wire. They normally pull away or partially separate. If they partially separate, they will still look ok from outside but will arc inside the boot and burn out.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked up a set from Centerline, it looks like they're from BREMI? The set came with dielectric grease so I'll give these a shot; are Bosch even available anymore?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts