Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an issue with my '86 GTV6 where the heater/AC lever wasn't moving the cable at the heater valve. After doing some digging I found that the spot behind the gauges where the cable is clamped down had broken (see first pic). Now I would have expected the top plastic piece that is screwed down to have been the piece that snapped, but no...the piece that it screwed down into had broken off the housing!

What a pain. Tried gluing it down with different types of glues and none would hold, one or two moves of the lever and off it would pop again. Started looking around for new heater boxes to replace it and even found one in a junk yard but couldn't figure out how to get it out. Started talking to bb member Terry (mrwierdwrench) as he was trying to pull one out of his parts car to sell me. He told me that one of his friends had had something similar happen and just put a small metal plate with a threaded hole underneath the housing and screwed it in (remove the vent for easier access). Much simpler than removing the whole heater box and all the associated junk!

I just complete the fix and it works great. See pics below.

1) Behind gauges where the piece broke off

2 & 3) Little screwdriver stuck through hole to test to see if there is a hole all the way through (there was!)

4) The broken off part with lots of glue on it from previous gluing attempts.

5) All the parts and the new bottom steel plate with a tapped hole in it for the new longer screw I used. I made the plate 3/4" x 1 1/2" from some 1/16" steel plate I had laying around.

6) New pieces screwed in from the top, holding the cable down nicely.

7) Shot of screwed in plate from the bottom

Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably wouldn't work after I had already tried the other glues, but this is way stronger than stock, no way that sucker is breaking again!

Kevin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts