Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone-

As I was trying to get into my 1983 GTV6 this morning, the tongue, or pull-handle you pull out to open the door snapped in two in my hand. It is just the tongue that is broken and it connects to the latch mechanism with a removable pin. Does anyone have a driver's side door latch mechanism from which I can pirate the pull-handle? I will buy the whole assembly although I really just need the handle. Please let me know.

Than you-

Steve Allison

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
OK good. Be careful driving the splined pin in and out of the pot metal arms of the handle. Make sure spring in correct orientation.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If I send you the postage would you just send me one? (The tongue/handle that is) (I "fixed" my broken one a couple of years back and it looks pretty ugly).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice, xray, but I bought the complete assembly ready to install. And thank you, italcarnut, for your kind offer. Are the members of this forum great or what?

Steve

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello. Exact same thing just happened to me two days ago! Anyone still have an extra "tongue" for that driver-side outer door handle? Also, does the outer handle mechanism come out from the inside, requiring removing the inside door panel?

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Door panel off with door panel tool(hidden screws in armrest, unscrew lock pull, and get ready to break something)

Be real careful on sliding off the hand pull surround, goes only one way and breaks real easily(it SLIDES about 5mm then falls off, not pulls off)

Panel lifts up and off the door. WINDOW NEEDS TO BE IN UP POSITION.

Once panel off, you will have to carefully pop off lock bar nylon adjuster from back of door lock, not the handle lock.

Then 3 nuts (10mm?)

then remove handle retainer metal piecs and then the hand pull from the outside...lifts out and up or something like that.

Thw whole door handle is a crappy unit and breaks easily so be very careful when you drive out the handle pin.

DON'T overtighten the 3 nuts when you replace it, the studs will pull right out of the handle. Have some 3m sticky spray to put the plastic sheet seal back in place.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
What is "3M stick spray"? Curious, as I will be doing this soon myself. Thanks for the re-assembly post, btw.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the details, Xray. A PO had the panels screwed onto the door around the perimeter o at least I won't have to worry about those panel mounts.

3M makes the "Super 77 Multipurpose spray adhesive" , and there's also a "90". Is that the stuff to use? I found a discussion on a VW bb and they used those on carpeting. The folks there said they work fine, one commented he preferred the 77 over the 90. I need to do some minor carpet work around the back seats as well anyway...

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Thanks for the details, Xray. A PO had the panels screwed onto the door around the perimeter o at least I won't have to worry about those panel mounts.
You don't say what year yours is, early GTV6 door panels were screwed on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I went for a drive yesterday and my driver side door latch/tongue snapped. Be interested in a replacement. Please let me know. 1982 GTV6 thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Everyone, I went for a drive yesterday and my driver side door handle/tongue snapped on my GTV6. Greatly appreciate any replacement that I can purchase. thks

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
Alfas have had low strength door handles ever since my 64 Sprint GT at least, speaking from experience. Learned to be very careful with them through the decades, but still, even the ones in the 164s are a poor design. Needless to say, I have several spares ready.

Have learned to repair several of the models from previous Alfas, lol, even the Sprint GT. Look closely at yours. You might be able to repair it, depending on the failure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts