Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
here is a question for the experts..........

How do you fit the springs in the spider hinges?

Both mine were broken when I got my 102.23 spider, I guess the reproductions are not made of the correct spring-steel.

I can see no way to remove the old spring parts without taking the door and hinges off the car, something I am reluctant to do..........
:mad:

Am I missing something?

I won't be online again till monday, but any suggestions made in the meantime are very welcome.

Cheers
Nick

·
Registered
889 Posts
I don't know of any other way than to remove the hinges. As I recall, the hinge pin must be removed to allow the two leaves of the spring to be positioned to install the spring. I have a set on my bench I'll experiment with and get back to you.

It's now 2011 and I neglected to get back to you. I can't find any other way to install these springs without removing the hinge and the hinge pin to manipulate the spring into place. It's tricky, but once you've done it, you'll never forget it!!

·
Super Moderator
11,397 Posts
Terry is right. There is another way to put them in, but it involves making tools and hurting yourself. You also mess up the paint on the hinge. It is best to remove the hinge, take it apart, put in the spring, then, put it back together.
Here is the catch. When NEW, the spring was painted body color, AND the bolts that hold the hinge in place were painted with the body. The bolts were painted into the hinge. Wonderful! How do you do that when just replacing the springs? They will also eventually break again, so even IF you paint the spring, and paint the bolt heads into the body, you will, eventually, have to take it apart again. Having owned my car from new, 46 years, the drivers door is now on it's third spring (now unpainted), and the passenger door on it's second spring, (painted). Bolt heads are painted, but not into the body.That's close enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts