Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Seeping slowly from one of the coolant plugs on top of head. Seems to me plug is cracked. Should I try tightening or take it out and try to seal? Or must I find another plug somewhere?
Spider 1.6, 1984, carbs.
Regards Torbjørn

·
Registered
473 Posts
It may just leak a little bit and atleast keep an eye on it but it will only get worse and not better. if it were me and it was cracked I would replace it after I had a new one in my hands.

·
Registered
9,418 Posts
so if you wipe off that tiny blob of blue coolant with idling engine, how long does it take to re-appear?

tbh, that's the smallest leak I've ever seen on an alfa, any alfa!
;)
just leave it.....check once in a while.

Just cannot see how those plugs will crack unless you were messing with them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm..You are right, the leak is small. Got zero experience with this, so appreciate advice.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Could have been a defect when made and a crack is just starting. Had this happen to a 12" ID cast 90 degree elbow at work. Elbow was atleast 1 1/2" thick and it still seeped out one day.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
or could be that the plug is corroded from the inside and thats the reason of the leaking, i will leave it alone and try JB weld or the like to get ride of the leak

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
or could be that the plug is corroded from the inside and thats the reason of the leaking, i will leave it alone and try JB weld or the like to get ride of the leak
Thanks. Didn’t think of that.. Never used JB Weld. Are there different sorts ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts