Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have exploded diagrams for steering column, think i broke the bearing trying to take wheel off, need new bearings, anyone know where i can find it? Thanks

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Hi,
Why do you think you broke the bearing ? I don't have an exploded view on hand but the bearing is "far" behind the steering wheel hub. Maybe I'm wrong but IIRC the hub presses the spacer tube that presses the spring who maintains the bearing where it must be. I can't see how you can break this bearing trying to take steering wheel off.

If nobody has the exploded view on hand I will post it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Exploded view

Here it is (from CarDisc):

Steering_box.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much dominic. Now to find someone who has the bearing part #14 and 15. Would you happen to have this by chance or able to get? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was seized and when i was taking apart steering column it broke one or two balls fell out., was afraid to take it apart for fear of ball bearings falling apart.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much Dominic, will get in touch with Gerry. This is the only thing holding me up from getting car out this summer.

·
Registered
363 Posts
When I took apart my '73 S2 Spider, I can't recall removing that bearing. Can't find it in Catalogo Rapido either. Is it an S3 novelty or shall I dig one up from somewhere?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
I guess your best bet is to get the broken one out - most bearings have an international reference number (DIN?) on them that bearing shops can match up for you.
It is such a rare part to break, I doubt you will find that listed from one of the usual alfa parts suppliers!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not sure if you are saying the steering box was seized to the point that you broke a bearing or you broke a bearing when you tried to take the steering wheel off.

But either way you are going to have to completely disassemble the steering box and I'm sure you'll find more trouble in there once inside. Plus I'm sure those bearings and races are hard to find.

Your best bet is to just locate a whole replacement box.

Here are some pics of the bearings and inside the box during a rebuild, note some of the photos show what happens when bearings go bad.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts