Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
**** bastards broke into my black beauty Saturday night/am and tore out my vents and damaged my dash trying to get my stereo out. They got the face-plate which I had hidden under my seat but did not get the stereo but f$%#@d up my dash/vents. Luckily or unluckily, my doors do not lock and they were somehow able to drain my battery enough so that my alarm did not sound, next morning the battery was dead and car did not start until I got a jump start from AAA. Strange, how is this possible?
Somebody suggested I get a 9v battery backup to the alarm(??).
So now I am getting a key made for the doors but they may just slice open the top next time, right?
I need to buy new dash vents that are in the center of the dash, any ideas where? May try APE.....
I could wring somebody's neck, arggggggg!!

·
Weaving a Spider's Web.
1,154 Posts
sorry to hear this, rotten thieves.
No point in locking her up, you're right, but then this happens:(

Hope you get the parts okay.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,855 Posts
Man, that sucks Keith, sorry. APE should hopefully have the vents.

Not sure locking the doors would be any help...you're right that they'd just slit the roof, and then you'd need a new top too. Best bet would probably be to get the alarm working (not that people pay much attention to those, but better than nothing) and not keep the faceplate in the car. If they can't find the faceplate they don't have as much incentive to steal the radio.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Sorry about your misfortune. Ddouglas77 is right about this being a case of justifiable homicide! I'm gonna "third" the advice about not locking your car...you're just asking for the top to be slashed. I removed the radio and replaced it with a blanking plate for exactly this reason. No tunes in the car is a VERY small price to pay...and it's free! I'm sorry this happened to you, man.

David

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I leave my pet in the front seat to ward away any intruders:) If you catch the scum suckers, call me and I'll help you cut off their hands:mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
That's going easy on em' Force them to replace the passenger side motor mount. There's punishment for ya.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
First, let me say that I am very sorry to hear about the break-in. The best advice I can offer is to not get desperate (I know it's not easy), and take your time getting everything you need to make your car perfect again. As to how to secure your car going forward, this is what I have done, in New York City and New Jersey neighborhoods for years, in an effort to protect my Spider (daily driver):
  1. Convertible car alarm, which is an alarm that is set off when someone breaks the plane of the area surrounding the car. So it does not require a door to be opened. The sensitivity is adjustable. Of course, if someone opens a door, the hood or the trunk, it will go off. The intermittent red alarm light is located right above the radio, so it is visible and they can clearly see that the faceplate is off.
  2. When parked on the street during the day, I leave the top down, windows up, doors locked, glove box, trunk locked (faceplate in the trunk) and alarm on.
  3. When parked on the street at night. Top up, everything else locked as above, and the car is covered. By the time anyone is trying to pull the cover, the alarm will go off.
  4. If at night, and the cover is not available, I’ll still put the top up. Then I’ll make a judgment call, which is usually to lock the doors with the windows halfway up. This just buys time for the alarm to go off, while someone sticks a hand in, and discourages the need to cut the top or break the window. If it is raining, I will lock the doors, with the windows all the way up.
The Alfas are pretty secure now, because they are either in the garage or in the driveway, so I haven’t had to take any safety measures lately. Nonetheless, I wouldn’t use a gun (it’s illegal and the noise gives you away) or an axe (too risky to get too close), so I have a bow and arrow (legal, quiet, fast, and effective). Concerned about legal consequences my wife once got very serious and wanted an answer as to whether I would use it on a would-be-thieve. I responded: “Don’t worry sweetie, I’ll make sure I get him in the @$$. It’s a wide target, and if needed I can legitimately say that I had no intention to kill, as clearly evidenced by my target choice. There is legal precedence for such a defense.”

Best regards,

·
Registered
150 Posts
Keith:

Sorry about that. I had two radios stolen from my 89 spider in mountain view. I never locked my car to preserve my top and i was too lazy to take the face plate off. Hence two stolen radios. Luckily they were "nice" enough not to damage the dash. I would check APE for a used part, but if they don't have it, check with Alfa Parts in Berkeley, they have everything that is still being made (which seems to be fewer and fewer parts by the day).

I have the stock radio in my 91 spider. I am pretty sure no one is going to steal it because it barely works.

Todd

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
May the fleas of a thousand camels attach the would be thief's groin.

:eek: Now you are truly somebody I wouldn't want to annoy. OTOH, I know Enrique's ability with a bow and now that I know how his alarm system works, well;)

·
Registered
770 Posts
isnt it great though, if they cut their theiving hands on razor blades that just happen to be there, they can sue you into oblivion and probably win. poor crooks, always having to defend their rights must make them tired, but the law system helps them out I guess.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
isnt it great though, if they cut their theiving hands on razor blades that just happen to be there, they can sue you into oblivion .....
That's why their bodies must never be found:) Ever see Deliverance.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
one advantage with the razor blades is that you can give the to the police, they ownt have to get that fingerprint dust all over your car.
cliff

1 - 20 of 32 Posts