Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help on this one. Just got my 78 spider back today from the body shop. Low and behold they forgot to torque the lug nuts down on the wheels. Caught on to that quick so no damage, but got a little carried away tightening on the rear wheel lug and broke the stud off into the lug nut.

I know how to pull the rotor and caliper to get me started. But on the rear, the lug studs are in the hub. My question is this. How do I replace the lug stud that I broke? Do I have to pull the hub and if so how? Or can I grab onto whats left of the old stud and back it out with some vice grips? Or does it have to be machined out? Or should I just take it to Midas as the muffler hangers sound loose too? I do have an extra hub attached on the 84 spider I am parting.

BTW, car looks great. Fresh pearl white all over. Did the headlight covers. New Duettomotors cloth top. Its spotless. Now if I can just keep from smacking into the back of Mustangs (how it needed a paint job) and not break anything else!

Any advice appreciated.

Best Regards.
John M

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm right on this, but I think the rear hubs are also part of the 1/2shafts - so when you remove this the complete 1/2shaft as to come out of the rear diff as well.

don't quote me on this though.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
To my knowledge, '78 Spiders have live axles which makes changing a broken wheel stud fairly easy. With the caliper and rotor removed, turn the axle flange so that the stud won't damage the parking brake stuff when it comes flying out. Take a good sized handheld inertia impact generator (BFH), and smack the broken end of the stud toward the differential. Two or three hits should knock it out.
After feeding a new stud in from the brake side, lube the threads with grease or anti-seize and install a steel nut on the stud with the flat side of the nut toward the flange. Tighten the nut with an airgun until the head of the stud contacts the inside of the flange.
Torque the wheel nuts to 60-70 lb/ft. for aluminum wheels and 70-80 for steel; too little torque and the nuts come loose and too much torque will cause the rotors to warp resulting in brake pulse.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help!

Hey Jamie and Jim:

Thanks for the help. Setup is the same as on my 84 parts car. The studs are pressed/hammered into the backside of the hub. Four bolts and pull the axel after disconnecting the e-brake, rotor and caliper. Its definitely a job for the Midas connection. Two 12 packs of cold bud light got me done!

Thanks again!

John M

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Have you finished parting out your 1984 Spider? I have an 84 Veloce and am in need of a few things.
Thanks
Ray Kiszely

John M said:
I need some help on this one. Just got my 78 spider back today from the body shop. Low and behold they forgot to torque the lug nuts down on the wheels. Caught on to that quick so no damage, but got a little carried away tightening on the rear wheel lug and broke the stud off into the lug nut.

I know how to pull the rotor and caliper to get me started. But on the rear, the lug studs are in the hub. My question is this. How do I replace the lug stud that I broke? Do I have to pull the hub and if so how? Or can I grab onto whats left of the old stud and back it out with some vice grips? Or does it have to be machined out? Or should I just take it to Midas as the muffler hangers sound loose too? I do have an extra hub attached on the 84 spider I am parting.

BTW, car looks great. Fresh pearl white all over. Did the headlight covers. New Duettomotors cloth top. Its spotless. Now if I can just keep from smacking into the back of Mustangs (how it needed a paint job) and not break anything else!

Any advice appreciated.

Best Regards.
John M

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Ray:

That 84 is long gone....but I still have a few things up on the shelf. What are you looking for? Might want to post a WTB ad in the for sale section as well.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I may need a speedometer. What type of parts do you still have?
Body, Interior, Engine etc?
Ray

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not much left at this point.

No interior pieces....except maybe a couple of dash side vents.

I have a decent hood left.

Seems like mechanical...I still have a wiper motor and brake calipers.

Not much more than that. Most of it went on ebay as it came off the car.

I might snag a sad 82 and part her in the near future. A great deal will transfer over. What are you needing?

Best Regards,
John M

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Needing parts

John:
Not sure yet. Just acquired an 84 spider Veloce and will want to replace some things as I go along. At them moment I need a speedometer, I'll a watch e-bay and this forum as well. thanks for the reply
Ray :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts