Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Reading that article and a couple others, I have to ask the question. Why do they make it seem that everything must change? Are there no working aspects of government that can remain in place during this transition?

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
Unfortunately while the Pound might go down relative to the US $ and NZ $ (I live in NZ) it will also go down versus the Lira and therefore Alfaholics, etc. will have to pay more for their parts (as I assume most are made in Italy).

End result is I doubt whether we will see any cost savings.

But most definitely we need these companies to stay around!
Pete

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Blimey, Pete, the Lira hasn't existed for about fifteen years! I keep a L5000 note in my wallet just for sentimental reasons, not in the expectation that I'll be able to spend it ....

But yes, you're right. Stock would have been bought from Europe at a certain rate, and it will be replenished at a less favourable rate. The moral of the story is invest heavily in parts now from these brilliant UK suppliers if you have a restoration project looming (or if your car is a keeper and you want to have the best quality items on the shelf for future maintenance), as it will save you significant money in the long term.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've already placed my order from the UK. i'm guessing once everybody gets used to it the markets will return to normal. I think it's just a knee jerk reaction. time will tell

cheers ian

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hi, I meant to start this post as how Brexit relates to the opportunity of buying Alfaholics and other companies parts at a discount, not as a whole for vs. against political discussion.
I saved $50 on my parts order from Classic Alfa right after the Brexit! That's right 50 bucks. 50 clams. 50 greenbacks. The USD is also stronger against the Euro, and I think there's savings to be had all around. Wait till the Central Banks of Europe, and the UK stimulate they're economies. IE devalue their currencies a bit. A good time for Americans to travel and buy Alfa Parts. The US suppliers will also be buying with a strong dollar, and hopefully when current inventories clear out savings will be passed on.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It is probably pertinent to point out that the USA has a governmental structure more akin to the EU than is realised. It is a unified federation of states, each with its own identity, with a controlling central government in Washington. For better or worse, the European 'project' aims to achieve a similar objective, albeit without destructive revolutions or yet more continental wars. The world is smaller and more connected than it was even when I was a child, and it may be that long-held notions of sovereignty of smaller European countries become less relevant as time goes on. Who knows.

Could you imagine a United States that, for example, prevents people or goods or services moving across state lines?
You mean like California with their border agricultural stations, and prohibitions against fois gras, etc?

Yeah, that would be horrible.

"Controlling" central government was not the original, nor current defining language for our federal government. However, it has become the modern interpretation. This is what power-centers do.... They seek to expand their control and power. Britain's rejection of this may prove prescient.
Yeah agricultural inspections are do onerous aren't they?

·
Registered
191 Posts
The exchange rate looks good unless you look at the rate you are actually paying after the credit card company is done with you.

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
I intend to support U.S. suppliers but the savings from my recent purchase from Classic Alfa went far beyond the domestic purchase cost. Including credit card and shipping charges. Again, we need to support our U.S. suppliers, but I must be my own best friend...

The exchange rate looks good unless you look at the rate you are actually paying after the credit card company is done with you.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Unfortunately while the Pound might go down relative to the US $ and NZ $ (I live in NZ) it will also go down versus the Lira and therefore Alfaholics, etc. will have to pay more for their parts (as I assume most are made in Italy).

End result is I doubt whether we will see any cost savings.

But most definitely we need these companies to stay around!
Pete
Its a long time ago that the Italians had Lira - 2002 (as far as I remember) Italy and the majority of EU member states changed from local currencies to Euro. Exceptions were UK£, DKK, SKR. Since a lot of former Eastern block countries joined EU, but so far only a few have economy to join the Euro.

Most parts for classic Italian cars are rightly made in Italy and Germany.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts