Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure where to post this...
Is not the time to load up on all of the Alfaholics goodies? The pound is down and that helps us Yanks. It also would be a boost to them to increase sales.
Hmmmm.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
This makes sense to me more than stocks!

Anyway, seems they can inflate to stay on track or whatever. Hope all works out well there. Interesting times.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
In the short term, sure. But most of what the UK vendors sell is sourced from Italy and elsewhere, so I imagine as they restock they'll need to reset their GBP pricing to reflect the increased cost of goods they purchased in Euros.

Same thing will happen with UK built cars. The raw materials are mostly imported, so the weak pound won't give much if any competitive advantage vs the Germans et. al.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I would have saved almost 10% if I waited just 1 day to place a large order with classic alfa.

O well.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
I would venture to say, the rate of exchange you get/use depends on the bank holding your CC. Now what the vendors charge is another matter relative to what they've got in the goods. I dont know the specifics but VAT here in Italy is 22% and I think the same in GB. When the exit takes place - 2 years or so from now you might see a good deal of that go away. I'm not counting this chicken until it's hatched. Ciao, Chris

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
I voted no to staying in the EEC in 1975 and I have never changed my mind. It was always a bad deal for Britain. It's bad enough that we have buffoons in Washington micro-managing our lives, imagine what it would be like if they were in Ottawa or Mexico City.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yes, it turned out to be out.
It also turned out that no one had a plan for out - neither the live nor stay politicians have prepared for a live or the Scots and Northern Irishmen living the UK.
So, for observers it'll interesting to follow. For Brits in general it could end in a nightmare.
I'm a Dane and a great number of Danes think we should live, too. Personally, I'm for staying. But lots of thing have to be simplified or brought back to local governments and parliaments. As it's now many politicians hide behind Brussels, saying it's those in Brussels who passed this or that law.
Exciting times with president elections in France (Marie le Pen) next year and rumblings in the Netherlands (Gert Wilders) and budding nationalism in lots of the eastern countries. Not to speak of Greece and looming bankruptcy and unsolved refugee Problems. Germany's and Sweden's declarations "all are Welcome" and a Swedish politician declaring "Sweden is an humanitarian superpower". Two months later Sweden closed their borders for refugees and immigrants. German individuals, groups and parties revolting against the migrant and refugee laws.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
I'm going to plough up my grass paddock and plant vegetables and fruit trees. The most stunning own goal ever. Some things are just way too complicated and important to be left in the hands of the poorly educated who are swayed by half-baked opinions and hysteria. The country which will soon be known as the Dis-United Kingdom is a Parliamentary democracy, not Switzerland.

But this island has previous form. When the Romans left these shores, we abandoned their fine brick villas and underfloor heating to crumble and be choked by thorns, so we could revert to our familiar mud-daubed, straw-roofed hovels. Today, it feels that this ancient, inward-looking obstinacy is alive and well.

On the plus side, my parts just got cheaper.

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
My son, born in England and moved to the US when he was two years old commented "".
Ironically, the same elites who are terrified of the rise of nationalist parties in the EU are the ones who caused them to come into power. Nationalism is a natural response to the degradation of natural sovereignty.
"

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
"poorly educated" does not equate to stupid. It's rejection by the more "common" folk of years of elitist thinking permeating every aspect of their lives. I hope it comes east as well. Ciao, chris

·
Registered
698 Posts
The only thing certain is uncertainty!

Not sure if anyone truely understood the full complexity of both outcomes to the referendum, let alone leaving it to the common folk to decide.
It's democracy gone crazy if you ask me.

Good luck United Kingdom.

·
Registered
462 Posts
"poorly educated" does not equate to stupid. It's rejection by the more "common" folk of years of elitist thinking permeating every aspect of their lives. I hope it comes east as well. Ciao, chris
Well said. As Calvin Coolidge pointed out, the world is full of educated idiots, and in politics and punditry, at least, idiocy seems to be the rule, especially among those who appear to replace common sense with faculty lounge political theory. If Boeing engineers were as wrong as often as politicians and pundits, their planes would regularly explode while taxing. While Nativist hysteria is never admirable, anti-EU sentiment seems to go much deeper than that, despite what idiot Christiane Amanpour her fellow hysterics would have you believe.

p.s., in light of what's going on in Europe right now, a little "Nativist hysteria" is perfectly understandable.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I'm going to plough up my grass paddock and plant vegetables and fruit trees. The most stunning own goal ever. Some things are just way too complicated and important to be left in the hands of the poorly educated who are swayed by half-baked opinions and hysteria. The country which will soon be known as the Dis-United Kingdom is a Parliamentary democracy, not Switzerland.

But this island has previous form. When the Romans left these shores, we abandoned their fine brick villas and underfloor heating to crumble and be choked by thorns, so we could revert to our familiar mud-daubed, straw-roofed hovels. Today, it feels that this ancient, inward-looking obstinacy is alive and well.

On the plus side, my parts just got cheaper.
That is the best anti Brexit quote I have seen Alex. Very well said. My UK/EEC passport just got a whole lot less useful sadly, but I am truly worried about the fate of the land of my forebears and my wife's relatives who live there. My research on the topic so far suggests that the leave case is mostly based on conspiracy theories and xenophobia.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi, I meant to start this post as how Brexit relates to the opportunity of buying Alfaholics and other companies parts at a discount, not as a whole for vs. against political discussion.

I am not British so I don't have a real dog in this race. However to those claiming it is all based upon racism xenophobia, stupid masses etc. Let me ask, "Do you leave the door to your house open for anyone to just walk in, do as they please, ask to live by their own house rules, welcomed or not? Vetted or not?" "Do you not believe in having sovereign states"?

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
It is probably pertinent to point out that the USA has a governmental structure more akin to the EU than is realised. It is a unified federation of states, each with its own identity, with a controlling central government in Washington. For better or worse, the European 'project' aims to achieve a similar objective, albeit without destructive revolutions or yet more continental wars. The world is smaller and more connected than it was even when I was a child, and it may be that long-held notions of sovereignty of smaller European countries become less relevant as time goes on. Who knows.

Could you imagine a United States that, for example, prevents people or goods or services moving across state lines?

·
Push hard and live
8,910 Posts
Sovereign states

It is probably pertinent to point out that the USA has a governmental structure more akin to the EU than is realised. It is a unified federation of states, each with its own identity, with a controlling central government in Washington. For better or worse, the European 'project' aims to achieve a similar objective, albeit without destructive revolutions or yet more continental wars. The world is smaller and more connected than it was even when I was a child, and it may be that long-held notions of sovereignty of smaller European countries become less relevant as time goes on. Who knows.

Could you imagine a United States that, for example, prevents people or goods or services moving across state lines?
You mean like California with their border agricultural stations, and prohibitions against fois gras, etc?

Yeah, that would be horrible.

"Controlling" central government was not the original, nor current defining language for our federal government. However, it has become the modern interpretation. This is what power-centers do.... They seek to expand their control and power. Britain's rejection of this may prove prescient.

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
I don't think the states as a reflection of the EU model is accurate. The states grew out of an expansion of a seed population. Relatively homogeneous and while believing strongly in the rights of the individual were largely on the same page philosophically (well sort of). Europe it seems to me is enriched by its diversity of cultures and heritage and borders. It always seemed odd to me that Europe would be willing to give that up.

·
Push hard and live
8,910 Posts
Hi, I meant to start this post as how Brexit relates to the opportunity of buying Alfaholics and other companies parts at a discount, not as a whole for vs. against political discussion.

I am not British so I don't have a real dog in this race. However to those claiming it is all based upon racism xenophobia, stupid masses etc. Let me ask, "Do you leave the door to your house open for anyone to just walk in, do as they please, ask to live by their own house rules, welcomed or not? Vetted or not?" "Do you not believe in having sovereign states"?
I've learned to be quiet and content when threads start to take on a life of their own. We don't own the threads we start, after all.

The buying opportunity, if there is one, will likely be short. Markets always return to equilibrium sooner rather than later. I've been thrilled by the strength of the dollar over the past year or so, but trying to grab the recent plunge in the Pound or Euro is likely to be like trying to time the bottom in the stock market. "Like trying to catch a falling knife by the blade."

As for politics...

My view is that ideology misses the point. Whether or not a nation, or island, asserts its "sovereignty" is a concept more suited to feudal times. What we learn over and over again, however, is that justice and administration is more efficient and "just" the smaller it is, and the closer to that which is being tried or administrated.

I can call my local mayor or supervisors and make a change in their thinking. I can march into City Hall and get something fixed. I cannot get through to the President or any of my Senators or Representatives, ever. I cannot fathom trying to right a wrong when the responsible bureaucrat is in a different country, with a native language different than my own, and from a culture that views my ethical standards to be wrong, or worse.

I have many British friends. They are intelligent and not racist. They are fed up with having their lives yanked around by the peculiarities of bureaucrats in another country.

A related question...

Are you comfortable flying on an aircraft that was built requiring the British, French, and Germans to cooperate?

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
I don't think the states as a reflection of the EU model is accurate. The states grew out of an expansion of a seed population. Relatively homogeneous and while believing strongly in the rights of the individual were largely on the same page philosophically (well sort of). Europe it seems to me is enriched by its diversity of cultures and heritage and borders. It always seemed odd to me that Europe would be willing to give that up.
Agreed about the seed population. Altering a nation's characteristics would take a millenium, or a couple of generations of the likes of Kim Jong-Il, and nobody is aiming to give up those cultural, linguistic and social aspects of nationhood. It is worth remembering that, just as the US was forged out of the War of Independence and the Civil War, plus a couple of others, so the EU was a post-WW2 creation whose primary aim was to bind nations together so closely that they became inter-dependent and thus far less likely to wage devastating war on each other. So far, that has worked pretty well. I think that is one underlying, unspoken reason why so many people who wished to remain in the EU feel shocked that the UK voted to leave. It's not as though we were faced with a monstrous tyranny like we were in 1940.

Earlier today I read a very interesting and quite plausible theory which casts doubt on the UK's proposed exit from the EU at all - see here if anyone wants to read more.

Anyway, I'm with Jeremy Clarkson on this one. We've had a long weekend of amazement and considerable discussion, not to mention the drinking of rather a lot of wine. Tomorrow is Monday and it's time to roll up our sleeves and make the thing work.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts