Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New here so well met!!

I was wondering if anyone has any information on the Brera GTA. I can't seem to find anything fresher than two or three year old spy photos on the net. Has the project been abandoned?

Cheers,

V

·
Registered
59 Posts
Vatraxos, as far as I know, there are no plans to introduce a GTA version of the Brera (yet), but I've posted some photos of my Brera in the 'Picture Room' forum. It's in full production in Europe, with either 2.2 4cyl and 3.2 V6 cyl petrol, or a 2.4 turbo diesel engines. Just two levels of trim - Standard or SV (SkyView glass roof, aluminium interior trim) The new Spider, announced last year, uses exactly the same mechanicals and chassis, but is a bit heavier. The diesels can be re-mapped easily - I had mine done the day after I bought it, taking it from a standard 200 to 245bhp. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot for the replies everyone!!

If it's going to be released in 2008 shouldn't there be some "noise" already in the press or something?

When I first saw the Brera concept I was floored....I thought "Oh my God...Alfa is going to make something worthy or their name?" As it turns out, and this is just my humble opinion, they haven't. Stylisticly, when compared to the concept, it's says compromise. The fact that the interior is copy pasted from the 159 is also a dissapointment. The car is heavy and underpowered...at least the 2.2 which I drove. In terms of performance it does not compare favorably to any of its rivals.

I love Alfa. And I've been looking for a reason to go back to them for some time. If a Brera GTA were to be realesed I think that would be a good enough reason.

Anyway..thanks again for the input! Guess we'll just have to wait and see..

Cheers,

V

·
Registered
923 Posts
The GTA badge should be reserved for real sports cars.
Thats true, GTA means Alleggerato, and a Brera, with 1630kg is the opposite to the concept GTA. In addition, a diesel engined car IS NOT A SPORT CAR. Diesel-petrol engines are only for trucks, trains, ships and those green John Deere fine machinery.

Best regards,
ALvaro.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thanks a lot for the replies everyone!!

If it's going to be released in 2008 shouldn't there be some "noise" already in the press or something?

When I first saw the Brera concept I was floored....I thought "Oh my God...Alfa is going to make something worthy or their name?" As it turns out, and this is just my humble opinion, they haven't. Stylisticly, when compared to the concept, it's says compromise. The fact that the interior is copy pasted from the 159 is also a dissapointment. The car is heavy and underpowered...at least the 2.2 which I drove. In terms of performance it does not compare favorably to any of its rivals.

I love Alfa. And I've been looking for a reason to go back to them for some time. If a Brera GTA were to be realesed I think that would be a good enough reason.

Anyway..thanks again for the input! Guess we'll just have to wait and see..

Cheers,

V
there are some articles around - although yes it would seem quiet for a 08 release. 1600kg is also alot and goes against the GTA legacy ... but i think power to weight is what will make the car... it should still be a great car with a 400hp v8 :D

·
Registered
923 Posts
Don't look now, but Audi diesel won the 12 hours of Sebring and 24 hours at Lemans http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060424/FREE/60417012/1029
Hi!

Yes, but the rules for diesel powered cars are very different from gasoline powered cars. And with "different" I mean "favorable".

Allow a gasoline car the same engine displacement, turbo pressure and fuel weight inboard as diesel cars and lets race again....

If two things are not the same, don't compare them.

Best regards,
Alvaro.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The rules ARE different... "fuel weight inboards"? AFAIK, the diesel cars are only allowed a SMALLER fuel tank than the gasoline powered ones.

·
Registered
923 Posts
The rules ARE different... "fuel weight inboards"? AFAIK, the diesel cars are only allowed a SMALLER fuel tank than the gasoline powered ones.
Ok, maybe I'm in a big error... please, sorry.

But racing was always based in a rule book and classes. I mean "same rules" for car in the "same class". If you mix diesel cars and gasoline cars, and you have different rules for cars in the same class, I think, this truly pervertes the spirit of racing.

Best regards,
Alvaro.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thats true, GTA means Alleggerato, and a Brera, with 1630kg is the opposite to the concept GTA. In addition, a diesel engined car IS NOT A SPORT CAR. Diesel-petrol engines are only for trucks, trains, ships and those green John Deere fine machinery.

Best regards,
ALvaro.
ALvaro.....I can't let you get away with THIS one! My Brera 2.4 JTDM, with a modest engine re-map (done the day after I bought it, new) takes the BHP figure to 265, same as the 3.2 V6 petrol Brera. The torque figure, in standard tune is higher than the V6, since the re-map it's astoundingly better. Couple this with fuel consuption figures that a V6 owner can only dream about, and I can't think of 2 reasons why ANYBODY with a brain in their head would prefer a petrol V6. (The one reason I CAN think of is of course, the noise - but the diesel does have a fine raspy throat when opened up)
In your list of vehicles that are OK with diesel engines, you forgot to mention the Audi Le Mans and Sebring winners. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts