Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
You really should NOT use the Cars&Coffee emblem in your signature. It is the property of the Ford Motor Company....

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
Where can I source the vented rotors and caliper spacers to complete this upgrade?
I did this conversion about 6 years ago on my 1968 Porsche 911. They were early Brembo callipers sourced from an Alfa wrecking/spares place (from a Milano/75). A few minor mods need to fit them. Outstanding brakes. They then became harder to find as folk realised their value, but were available from PMB for Porsche and Alfa. Eric there is a master of these brakes and their restoration. There was thread on this back in 2009. Eric was always chasing the cores. Milano Brembo Front Caliper Rebuild

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
I have them with non-vented rotors on my S2 spider. There is a spacer between the caliper halves that can be removed and then they are just right for stock rotors. But the mounting holes are spaced differently from the stock ATE calipers and you need uprights from an earlier Alfa. Richard Jemison supplied mine.

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
Interesting about the different mounting. On the old P-car, the Alfa callipers bolted straight on, but the spacer also needed to be removed and new O-rings fitted.

·
Richard Jemison
7,394 Posts
The brake mounts for the 115 series & 105 series built after 1971 have wider spacing and larger (stock) rotors.
I simply cut and re-position the brake mounts to place the caliper correctly on the rotor, both centered and at the correct location at the outer edge of the rotors.

I think this was what I did on Ed`s car, but I`ve done several and it`s hard to keep up.

I have a pair of brake mounts for 101 and early 105 cars that can be used for such a brake mod as shown in the video.. Real improvement for 101 race cars.
" Interesting about the different mounting. On the old P-car, the Alfa callipers bolted straight on, but the spacer also needed to be removed and new O-rings fitted."

Actually The O-rings don`t have to be removed, but I suggest shorter bolts for a nicer appearance, but the stock ones can be re-used by cutting off the excess thread length.
On 101/early 105 cars the larger later rotors have to have a spacer on the lug studs between the bearing carrier and new rotor, to position it centered in the caliper. I used 4 AN washers that miked the same thickness.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
The brake mounts for the 115 series & 105 series built after 1971 have wider spacing and larger (stock) rotors.
For reasons lost in the dust of Alfa/Portello history Tis and Supers retained the "small" uprights and brakes of the earlier spiders and GTVs. Thus, the Milano/75 Brembos make a great (almost) bolt-on mod.

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
Thanks Alfar7, I thought that might be the case. The O-rings between the halves needed to be replaced for security when I removed the spacers and the shorter bolts were also needed on the P-car. It was a simple modification allowing the use of these excellent, light callipers. I will search some of the Australian sites and wreckers for some. You never know they might be around still at a decent price.

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
Not just lighter. Aluminum conducts away heat and keeps the fluid cooler than iron.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I did this upgrade to my 71 1300 GT Junior a few years back and it certainly was worthwhile since the Junior had very small front calipers. For this upgrade, the Junior had the advantage over the GTV in that the caliper mount spacing is the same (300mm from memory?) as on the Milano/75s. I managed to find a 75 wreck as source for the Brembo calipers, separated the halves and had the spacers milled down to the thickness required to center the calipers on the rotors. Quite a simple upgrade really. Talking to guys who used to race GTVs here in NZ, I was told the Junior uprights were sought after as the easiest way of upgrading to the 75 calipers on GTVs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts