Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Alloy Brembos

Eric,

I have a pair. $125 plus shipping. I was going to put them on my Super but decided to keep it stock.

Stu

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? You had to post "that" Joe?

I build calipers for "everyone" Joe... Quite a few of the really cool Alfa guys here as well. I even (use to) purchase kits from your (excellent) organization. Excuse me but even with the icing, that just feels like a kick in the f'n crotch.

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
Eric, I read the post JoeCab has since deleted. Nothing bad, really. He mentioned that the calipers may be used to convert early Porsche 911s and warned that, if that happens, there soon may be no caliper cores left to keep Alfas on the road. I'm glad he's looking out for the Alfa community. You may be doing the same -- but possibly we just don't know it yet.

·
Premium Member
14,996 Posts
The core charge for a Milano front caliper at Performatek is $70. It seems that a Milano or GTV6 owner needing rebuilt calipers would be best to get credit for his old ones.

PMB Brake restoration: http://www.pmbperformance.com/calipers.html

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bottom line is, I'm a "car guy" guys... Do you know how many ultra rare Porsche 911S calipers we've sold to Alfa guys?

All of the calipers I've purchased to date came from "salvaged" cars. I really can't imagine any other source unless some is stealing calipers off Alfas to sell to me and we all know that simply isn't the case.

I "restore" calipers guys. You can get rebuilds for less, for sure... We purchase them, dis-assemble them, de-anodize them, polish them, re-anodize them and install new pistons and kits. We do this for Alfa guys. We do this for Porsche guys. We do this for Ferrari guys. We do this for BMW, Mercedes, etc... We do this for car guys.

I just think it's in poor taste to post something in someones WTB add basically saying; "don't sell to this guy".

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
I just think it's in poor taste to post something in someones WTB add basically saying; "don't sell to this guy".
I agree with you. The wording in his post clearly indicated he wasn't comfortable with the language he used, possibly because it was difficult to separate the issue ("what happens if Alfisti run out of rebuildable cores") from the person or company ("PMB" and/or "you").

JoeCab has been a valuable resource to AlfaBB and I especially like that he, as a well-known supplier, rarely ever makes posts to promote his company (and it seems he does so only to help an owner out of a bind). Most often, he seems to be very level-headed and fair. In fact, this may have been the first time I've seen him slip. He corrected that quickly be deleting his post.

As for you, you seem to be level-headed and fair also, and you seem to handle an upsetting situation rather gracefully. Hopefully, there isn't too much damage done for you, your company and your relationships with him.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
I feel lucky to have found a pair here for $30 that are now rebuilt minus the spacer and on my Super with 2L rotors. Kept the old calipers but the car is already an Abitsa with 2L and a 4.30.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone. I found what I need.

Special thanks to Joe who not only deleted his post but, took the time to call personally and apologize. I've fallen many times and, I doubt I've been as gracious as Joe was. We talked cool cars and calipers for probably 15 minutes. I think my parting comments were something like; "It's not how far you fall but how high you bounce." Joe's a great resource for the board.

In the end, if/as these calipers become less and less available, I mentioned that I would look into having them cast and manufactured. We could do this with or without spacers so... these would be a tremendous bolt on solution to a lot of the steel 3" calipers on the market. Joe agreed that would be a great solution and they would probably carry them in their line-up.

Win-win. Thanks again gang... Thanks Joe.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
I just did this conversion on a 72 Super with 2L rotors. Only a little touch grinding in a couple of spots. I have a spare set of hoses that go from 1600 connection to the Brembos. Goodridge wire wrapped and poly covered. Will be listing in For Sale.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts