Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted a catch can for the breather on my GTV. I had a hose going from the breather to the air intake at the carbs, but this was making a mess in there (the small amount of oil expelled (or sucked?) there was really just dripping down and out of the air filter). Now I'm temporarily running a hose to the ground and have noticed the hose is still dry at the end after about 100 miles of driving. But I don't like the idea of dripping anything on the road, being a motorcyclist. I know some guys just run a little filter on the breather, but I believe that filter only prevents stuff from getting into the engine, I don't think it actually protects the environment at all. And any oil being expelled is just going to drip out. Of course no solution like this is ideal for the environment, as the best is to run this breather through a PVC valve to the airbox where the fumes and oil get burned... but I can't really do that anymore with the ITG air filter I run. At any rate. I decided I wanted a catch can.

Looking around found many of that cans where giant, most more than 10" high and at least a full liter. I know I barely get any oil coming out and don't need something that giant and want it to be easy to place in the engine compartment. It wasn't as easy as I thought to find a smaller one with a full size (3/4" or approx 20mm) fitting to match the breather vent on the cam cover of my 2 liter. I didn't want to restrict this air flow. I wanted a barbed hose fitting (not an AN fitting). And I was frightened at what such a simple piece of hardware apparently cost.

At any rate, I bought one of these silly things and it seems rather nice. It's about 7 3/4" total height including filter and 3 1/4 diameter. Has a 3/4" fitting for the hose. Weighs 1 pound 12 oz (I was surprised at how heavy it was, would rather it was lighter. But it is nice machined aluminum construction.) Comes apart in the middle around the clamp so it can be emptied and seals at that junction with an o-ring. I figure I can inspect the amount of oil accumulating inside by pulling the filter off the top when I do oil changes.

I thought I'd post all this in case someone else is looking for one of these. I bought mine here: Ebay Item number: 350228387699.
Another seller has something that appears identical for a bit more money: Item number: 370121512912

Carl

Attachments

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Looks nice! Could you snap a photo of where you mounted it and perhaps where you routed the hose? A friend of mine's looking for a breather solution on his GTV after he went from original airbox to trumpet style intakes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
breather problem

I was reading yoiur breather catch can idea and thought maybe you would know if I have a breather problem or an injector pump problem. Listen to this: I have a 73 GTV 2000 Spica injection. I've had it for 15 years. After this winters storage I started it up and gently took it for a spin. Before it was fully warmed up I noticed a slight misfiring or fuel starvation sensation. I noticed I had no oil pressure and immediately shut it down. Checking things out I noticed alot of oil from under the breather can was dripping. Pulling the dipstick, I had no reading. So after an hour I walked back to the car with some oil and poured in 3 quarts. When I pulled the dipstick an oil gas mixture spouted out the dipstick tube. I towed the car back to it's winter quarters and haven't had time to do much with it for 6 weeks or so. Is it possible that I had some kind of fuel siphon through the breathersystem or do I have an injector pump problem? I believe that is the only place the fuel and oil cross over eachother. Any thoughts?
Marc

·
Registered
158 Posts
Another small catch can option

Here's one I found an use:

Link to Jaz Products Mini catch can

It's plastic, but functional.

Even this is bigger than really needed for the application (connected to vent on cam cover). I also have a PCV valve catch, which actually does fill up pretty quick at the track (needs drainout after each event).

·
Registered
41 Posts
When I bought my '58 veloce race car from it's barn it had an old olive oil can as a catch can, unfortunately it was quite rusted. So I coninued the tradition and used another one.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts