Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had varying opinions regarding the breakin period for a rebuilt 1965 Giulia normale enigine. New AE pistons, liners, rings, bearings, both timing chains, clutch plate and bearing, etc.

Is there agreement or disagreement that the engine should run no faster than 2,000 rpms (avoiding excessive idling) for the first 250 miles? At what mileage point should the head be retorqued? After the first 250 miles, is there a rev limit? At what mileage should the oil be changed after the motorwork?

As an aside, for those who've had Giulia normale gas tank sending unit problems, the mechanic found that a TR 3 sending unit would work, and, indeed it does. One shortcoming- when fuel gets low, the red light on the dash does not operate, but the dash gauge is now working, although it tops out at 3/4 of a tank.

The Giulia will be joining it's garage-mate in CO, a 1986 GTV 6. The two Toyotas will be religated to the driveway.

Thanks for you input/ advice.

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Hastings has a good tech article on their website. I followed their advice on my recently rebuilt '74 GTV with excellent results. Best of luck with the new motor!

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
My experience with the rebuilt ALFA engine, first 500 miles 3000 rpm rev limit. Change the oil and filter at 500 miles. Next 1000 miles 4000 rpm limit. I don't have the book handy, but if I remmeber correctly retorque is at 250 miles. Don't succumb to temptation, "taste the power too early" as Joe LoRe put it, "you won't be too happy"

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
The initial seating of the rings per the Hastings article is critical. Then make sure to vary your rpm's, not holding the same rpm's for more than 10 minutes, for at least the first 500 miles.

Rogerspeed's suggestions as to retorquing, rpm limits and oil/filter change are right on.

Check the valves at 1500 miles, reshimming if necessary, and you'll have a sweet engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts