Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Forumers,
I am new with this forum and hope some will be able to get some help to my issues. I have a 1969 GTV 1750 Spica. I am not asking anything on the cold start issue right now as not my main issue. I have 2 major ones:
Brakes: What could cause the brake not to function properly. I have only the rear left wheel braking? The course of the pedal has to go all the way to the the last inch to work. All other wheels not braking? Could it be a leak? or air in the circuit?

Also randomly the warnings get on? then could be the ignition key that is not shutting down the engine? Wipers are not working? I have checked all fuse and they are goo. Any idea how to address the issue?
As I just got the car few weeks ago I will for sure get back on the forum for help. Thanks to all.

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
Have you checked the level of brake fluid in the reservoir? Have you tried pumping the brake pedal?

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. Yes liquid in the reservoir is good (actually dual circuit) I have pumped several times not better result....thanks

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
To start, I wouldn't drive the car in that condition. There could be air in the system. Is the fluid level topped up on both sides of the reservoir? How do the fluid look? Is it dirty? How do the hoses look? If they're old, replace all three along with new fluid and bleed everything. If you still don't have a firm pedal, the master cylinder could be shot (or the booster). If you replace the master but not the booster, the additional pressure will blow out the seals on the old booster.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What fluid do u guys use with the brakes? I couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere.

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Car has been partially restored. Mainly engine, brake cylinder ( not the master one)...Liquid looks even in reservoir, clean and yellow( attached photo). Also there is a leak underneath the car (photo also circled in yellow). So I am wondering if a brake line could be slightly bent and create a leak around the body....sorry I am a french so do not have all technical words.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Thanks. Car has been partially restored. Mainly engine, brake cylinder ( not the master one)...Liquid looks even in reservoir, clean and yellow( attached photo). Also there is a leak underneath the car (photo also circled in yellow). So I am wondering if a brake line could be slightly bent and create a leak around the body....sorry I am a french so do not have all technical words.
If that is brake fluid, that's certainly an issue. The system must be closed or you will not get good pressure. A leaky brake line would contribute to a lack of pressure. The fronts do ~70% of the stopping so if that section is compromised it could lead to the symptoms you describe.

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. Leak must be tiny as I have pumped several time with car running and have not visually seen leaks. Will have the car in garage soon(if no confinement) and check. Thanks

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
If a brake line is bent there might not be any fluid getting through at all. I would start by bleeding the brakes (start furthest from the reservoir, i.e., right rear, then left rear, then right front, then left front) and insure you have good flow to each caliper. Make sure the fluid doesn't drop too low or you'll be starting over again. There are various devices to help bleed brakes now which make it much easier for a single person to do it.

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you. will do so. Will keep everyone posted in case helpful for someone else.

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
one more photo. Could this light be linked to the brake issue(red light always on, (the one on the left light up when I press it so norma behavior)? I cannot find a straight answer regarding the origin of the light. GTV 105 51 1705 1969 Spica...

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
one more photo. Could this light be linked to the brake issue(red light always on, (the one on the left light up when I press it so norma behavior)? I cannot find a straight answer regarding the origin of the light. GTV 105 51 1705 1969 Spica...
In my car that red light comes on when I pull up the handbrake and goes away when I release the handbrake.

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks.I will check if sensor could be at fault. When handbrake released light still on...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts