Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Brakes

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  not2old4toys 
#1 ·
We just inherited a 1966 Duetto 1600 I want to change over to Ate brakes from Dunlap. What do I need to purchase and change to do this. Thanks ahead for any help.

#2 ·

From a google search

#3 ·
Why change from Dunlops? Unless you are going to put lots of miles on the car simply rebuild the front Dunlop calipers, put on new rotors and pads. Parts will probably outlast you and me. This way the car is as intended and unique with the Dunlop parts. Its great to see a mechanic look at the rear setup and go Huh!

#6 ·
I have Milano Aluminum Brembo calipers on my S2 Spider and they are on uprights from an earlier car which may have had Dunlops. If that is the case and Brembos have the same mounting bolt centers as Dunlops then they would be a good upgrade.

#9 ·
I bought my calipers from an online junk yard for about $100. Milano rotors are vented and thicker than Spider rotors and the Brembo's have a spacer detween the two halves of the caliper that is easily removed. But double check the fitting on your uprights. There have been posts in the past from Alfar7 and others.

#11 ·
Change over is a direct bolt on from later Spiders using the laters front spindles. Use later larger front calipers. Rear axle from Spiders with LSD. Choice of 4:56 or 4:10. No mounting for anti roll bar but works fine without. If you are sticking with 1600 the 4:56 might be a better option. Dunlops are ok if you want pure stock, but they can be pushed to limits if driven spiritedly. Today's driving, the vehicle in front of you has a shorter stopping distance than 53 year old brakes..APE in NorCal should have used parts you need to rebuild.
Cheers, Jon

#14 ·
AlfaStop certainly ships to the USA. I just got Dunlop parts from Tony 3 weeks ago. Prices are not cheap but quality is good. I got everything I needed to rebuild the complete system: pads, rotors, rear cylinders,stainless flex lines, front pad pins and front caliper lock tabs. Fortunately, the front calipers were rebuilt by last owner and are fine. There are numerous places that can rebuild the fronts like Apple Hydraulics or White Post Restorations (I have never used either of them, so no endorsement) that have internet sites. AlfaStop has rebuild kits for front calipers. I am sure a quality local shop can install the rebuild parts. The key to working with AlfaStop is to call him and discuss after asking for a quote. Goodluck.

#16 ·
Sent PM..now called conversation with email contact.
Cheers, jon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.