Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '74 has been sitting since 1991 and after freeing two of the brakes that were sticking I took the poor stripped down beast for a couple of trips around the neighbourhood and found that the brakes don't feel quite the same as they did before I put the car away. They need more brake pedal pressure to do the job. What would be the cause?:confused: Would a worn out power brake booster be the culprit or maybe the air hose from the booster to the intake manifold has a leak although I checked it and it looks old but seems to be okay. Or maybe the calipers themselves? Is there a test that can be performed on the booster to see if it's okay?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Likely the brake booster is stuck. To test it; take it for a drive as is and note how it feels. Disconnect the vacuum line from the booster and plug it with something. (I use a spark plug) The plug has to be on the engine side or the motor will runn poorly if at all. Drive it again. If you don't feel a significant change then your booster is not working.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andy! I was in detective mode and decided to check the rubber hose that goes from the power brake booster unit to the intake manifold. It checked out okay, so I'm going "hmmm? what else could it be"? As Sherlock Holmes would have said, "This infernal problem is consuming me!" I removed the one way vacuum control valve that screws into the intake manifold on number 4 cylinder position and I found that I couldn't blow (or suck...) air in either direction. It was so elementary, my dear Watson, that I knew I'd better lay off that Peruvian marching candy. heheheh
I sprayed some carb cleaner into the valve and let it sit for a while and then with a small screwdriver, I nudged the check valve inside the unit and Voila! she wasa free! Now the valve, she a works a good. I think my power brakes, they should have some a "power" back in them now...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts