Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my 82 Spider on our 25 degree sloped driveway, I can almost stop it from still rolling down, but not quite, no matter how hard I press on the pedal. The pedal doesn’t hit the floor. At normal street speed, she stops ok....but I could never come to a skidding stop. Is this normal for a Spider?
Fresh brake fluid flush, new calipers, solid pedal, I believe it is well bled. The vacuum line to the booster gives a good swoosh when pulled off, so I think that’s good,right? Master cylinder problem perhaps?

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Definitely not normal

Pete

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Nope not normal. Is the booster new? New boosters are adjustable, if it has been replaced it could be adjusted towards the weaker side of things.

I know, and have experienced, that stopping on the interstate at 65mph too fast will in fact skid my car.

if I were you, I would bleed the system a few times (3-4x) and then check it again. Start with the easiest solution first!

My car wouldn’t skid when my booster was leaking, but it would stop fine.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes bleed the system. How old is the brake fluid?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
You mention new calipers and a solid pedal. What is the condition of the rotors? If the rotors are reasonably smooth but have some wear, check the height dimension of your pads versus the height of the worn swath on your rotors. If the pads are larger, the contact area on the rotors may be very small, substantially affecting brake performance.

·
Super Moderator
10,190 Posts
Fresh brake fluid flush, new calipers, solid pedal, I believe it is well bled.
Were the caliper pistons properly indexed when the calipers were replaced/rebuilt?

Do you have any idea what sort of pads were installed? Too hard perhaps?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Were the caliper pistons properly indexed when the calipers were replaced/rebuilt?

Do you have any idea what sort of pads were installed? Too hard perhaps?
Thanks y’all for the advice. I’ll do some checking on these points, starting with bleeding, checking the pads, rotors, etc... and report back.
Appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Not a bad idea to bleed the brakes but I doubt air is the issue. If so the pedal should initially feel spongy and then harden up as you pump it a few times. Sounds like it's hard right from the start.

These brakes are capable of locking up the tires at almost any speed. One operating caliper should be able to hold the car on a slope.

I would guess you aren't getting full pressure from the master cylinder. It doesn't sound like a seal issue unless the pedal slowly sinks to the floor. So either something is preventing the pedal from full travel or the master cylinder plunger is hanging up.

The other possibility could be contaminated pads.

·
Registered
490 Posts
"The vacuum line to the booster gives a good swoosh when pulled off, so I think that’s good,right? Master cylinder problem perhaps? "

Maybe your getting closer to the problem. A good way to check to see if the boster is doing a good job is to: with the ignition off, hit the brake a few times to remove any vacuum in the booster, push and hold the brake peddle, notice how it feels, start the engine, if the brake peddle goes down just a little, if so the booster is working if there is no movement then it's time for a replacement. (rebuilding is a ***** is they say in New York). (The "****" shown here was put in by the system to replace the word I really used. But that OK, it's just the world we live in.) 🛂♻🚷🚯🚳🚱🔞📵🚭🚫🚫🚫🚫 :p

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just read the OP again, why would you put new calipers on and use the old pads???

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
remember with calipers, there is a left and a right. If they are mixed up you won't ever bleed them (it's been done before!)
If bleed screw is not up top, they are on the wrong side.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thats true Dom, but you would never bleed them, the peddle would always be soft and spongy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Brake srvo is
With my 82 Spider on our 25 degree sloped driveway, I can almost stop it from still rolling down, but not quite, no matter how hard I press on the pedal. The pedal doesn’t hit the floor. At normal street speed, she stops ok....but I could never come to a skidding stop. Is this normal for a Spider?
Fresh brake fluid flush, new calipers, solid pedal, I believe it is well bled. The vacuum line to the booster gives a good swoosh when pulled off, so I think that’s good,right? Master cylinder problem perhaps?
Sounds to me like your power brake servo has gone bad.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The brakes should stop the car fine even if the booster isn't working, it'd just take more effort. As others have stated previously just make sure there isn't any air in the system. Also, make sure the master cylinder is the correct one for your car... the incorrect one could cause these same symptoms and require excessive effort to stop the car. If the brakes calipers were changed from stock then it might require a different master cylinder to get the correct pressures.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts