Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - my brake warning light stays on even though my front/rear reservoirs are at the correct level.

I noticed that I am getting different behavior as shown below;

Is there a "float" problem with the rear sensor, or does that not matter and it is more likely corrosion on the leads? (which I did a quick clean on and they were gunky)

Thanks!

·
Registered
348 Posts
If there is fluid in the rear... the sensor is stuck!

Take it out and see if there is fluid in the float

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah - fluid filled float equals no lift, which allows the top disc to make contact thereby completing the circuit which turns on the warning light?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys - digging this back up. The float assembly has actually come apart. I did a look and haven't seen replacement ones available. Any tips or coaching for me on fixing this?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
22,250 Posts
There can be more to this. The light is activated by three things: floats in the reservoir, "shuttle" in the brake circuit failure switch, and by the parking brake switch.
Andrew

·
Super Moderator
11,219 Posts
Hi guys - digging this back up. The float assembly has actually come apart. I did a look and haven't seen replacement ones available. Any tips or coaching for me on fixing this?
The brass rod just pokes into a hole in the float - sometimes you can just push it back in, and it'll work. If something is broken, or the float no longer floats, you're probably going to have to find good, used parts. It's pretty hard to use something like epoxy to repair these things, as the brake fluid will attack the adhesive.

Many European cars used similar ATE master cylinders, so you might be able to find replacement a float on a BMW / Mercedes at a wreckers.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys - in this case it is a float issue since the float has separated from the brass "stick" that triggers the brake light.

·
Premium Member
14,664 Posts
You can buy a complete later style reservoir from IAP part # 05508 for $112.50 or from Centerline for a similar price. It will fit your MC. Or you could look out for a used early style complete reservoir if originality is an issue. I have a spare complete early style Ate 20mm MC & reservoir but I would not split it and sell the floats.

·
Registered
228 Posts
, check first, the handbrake switch, located under the handbrake lever. In most cases , there is the problem and not elsewhere

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys - thanks for the info and ideas. In this case the float and piston have separated, so the piston doesn't have any "lift" off the sensor and this is resting on the sensor and is triggering the light. If the light stays on once the float is fixed then I've got some other fun in store!

Thanks again guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts