Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to learn about GTV brake upgrades. Alfarace on yahoo talked about it but I started reading about it to late. Lets start with Calipers, anyone know of bigger and better calipers that fit on GTVs? Who makes them? I heard theres a VW caliper that fits a GTV is that true? Do brake pads actually help or does it come down to the caliper? Any bigger, better ventalated rotors? Do people upgrade their master cylinders? Why put steel braded brake lines?

I have basic knowledge about brake systems, but as far as upgrades/modifactions I dont have a clue. Can anyone provide some good information which would help me and a few aswell? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
brakes

sniady...

there are a few calipers that fit the gtv. a popular one amongst alfa racers is the vw bus caliper. it uses the same pads, just has bigger pistons. of couse bigger calipers help but pads can make a huge difference as well. i make vented front rotors for alfa's that have use bigger and lighter brake calipers. i am currently having some made up with aluminum hubs. earl's performance products makes steel brake lines for alfa's.

see you at the track sunday. i'll show you one of the set ups i have on a gtv i am taking up, i am sure you will like it.

anthony

p.s. bring the gtv, not the trooper!

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
BREMBO! PERIOD! J/K

Good thread guys. I'll try to take some good detailed shots of brake setups at the Willow Springs race this weekend and post them ASAP.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vw bus?

Any years VW bus's calipers will work? Hmmm I could probably find a few of those at a junk yard and if not probably for super cheap from a old vw parts supplier. Good to know thanks. Whats Earl's Performance shop located?

I got a list of thing I want done to my car with numbers so I don't forget about them once I get my hands on some MONEY!

p.s. I only drive the trooper when the GTV is temporarly down. I think it will make it Saturday! 'Knock on wood'

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
smestas said:
BREMBO! PERIOD! J/K
Yeah, Brembo is definitely the way to go!

Know anywhere we can find it??
I checked the Brembo website and it seems they don't have anything for old Alfas over here in the States. :(

·
Registered
229 Posts
brake upgrade

I am in the process of retrofitting BMW 4 piston ATE calipers on my Berlina track car. Once I have completed the swap I will be writing an article detailing the swap and the parts needed as well as the results.

K.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which exact BMW model has the GTV fitting caliper? Where can you find them? Whats the cost?

If you write that article take some pictures to. It would help me so much with my future brake upgrade. Thanks!

p.s. AlfaBB is going to start up a Tech Article page. It'd be nice if you could contribute the article. Would help me and others a great deal!

Thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I wouldent be surprised if you couldent pick up a pair of EBC "Green Stuff"/good quality kevlar brake pads ($70 +/-) brake pads and some stainless steel brake lines ($100 +/-) to get a better feel out of your brakes, that should help out with some inexpensive brake upgrades.

·
Registered
539 Posts
milano calipers? to GTV

I heard you can fit calipers from a milano don't know if theyre much more effective but certainly lighter

·
Registered
411 Posts
I thought the deal was to use 5 series BMW front calipers and a Milano master cylinder?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
IMHO, the only real benefit to alternate calipers is reduced unsprung weight. The stock calipers do fine with the stock rotors. Now if you are going to an alternate rotor, that's a different story. I run stock brakes (as required) when I run SCCA events and haven't had problems. Otherwise, I run Montreal vented rotors with 4-piston Wilwood aluminum calipers. To be honest, I can't tell much difference in ability to scrub off speed. Although I guess the Montreal/Wilwood set up does inspire confidence.

Either way, I run a good race pad and change brake fluid at least every other event!

Erik

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,517 Posts
Sniady said:
Which exact BMW model has the GTV fitting caliper? Where can you find them? Whats the cost?

If you write that article take some pictures to. It would help me so much with my future brake upgrade. Thanks!

p.s. AlfaBB is going to start up a Tech Article page. It'd be nice if you could contribute the article. Would help me and others a great deal!

Thanks!
Alfa Stop sells a four piston caliper that fits the 115 spindle. They look like ones from a BMW 735. I think he's taken some new BMW calipers and removed the spacer between the caliper halves.

This is a picture of a set I found online. I once saw a set that Alfa Stop was offering on Ebay and made copies of the posted pictures.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,277 Posts
Just so you know ... BMW 2002's have 4 piston front calipers.

So do Austin Allegro's ... I know of one very quick 105 series Alfa using these calipers on the front.

Pete

·
Registered
145 Posts
genericwood said:
IMHO, the only real benefit to alternate calipers is reduced unsprung weight. The stock calipers do fine with the stock rotors. Now if you are going to an alternate rotor, that's a different story. I run stock brakes (as required) when I run SCCA events and haven't had problems. Otherwise, I run Montreal vented rotors with 4-piston Wilwood aluminum calipers. To be honest, I can't tell much difference in ability to scrub off speed. Although I guess the Montreal/Wilwood set up does inspire confidence.

Either way, I run a good race pad and change brake fluid at least every other event!

Erik
There is one other advantage I can see to using the 4piston BMW caliper, and it's the reason that interests me, the larger piston area will allow you to dispense with the booster, saving a bit of weight, simplifying/tidying the underbonnet plumbing, & in my case saving me the cost of rebuilding the boosters :). Note, my car is RHD with the underfloor 2 circuit mc & twin booster arrangement.

How much are Montreal rotors worth? & do they bolt straight up to the 105 hubs? Probably more than I need, but as you said plenty of brake capacity is reassuring.

·
Registered
241 Posts
the 2002 4 pistons brakes and be easily converted to a singular line, however it more often then not, requires an upgrade of the feed lines and the MC for that little extra push.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts