Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '65 Giulia Sprint GT that I race with VARA in So Cal. I am still running the stock single piston master cylinder and have had more than my share of failures over the years such that I am shy about deep braking. I would like to switch to a dual system and preferably one that uses modern cylinders. I know there is the Alfaholics unit. What other solutions have you resourceful people figured out? On a good note, the Alfas are usually behind the 510's and 2002's in B Sedan at many events. This past weekend at Willow Springs we had four Alfas and two of them finished 1-2 in the Saturday race. They looked great as they lapped me.
Dave

·
Registered
157 Posts
The conversions I'm familiar with require some fabrication and changing to hanging pedals. I think this is the main advantage of the alfaholics setup - allowing the conversion without changing to hanging pedals. You may be able to fashion something similar to the alfaholics approach using wilwood or other brake components.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. The 1750 dual masters are unbelievably expensive and there is no option to change bore size. I am likely left with either the Alfaholics set up or customize with a Tilton hung pedal assembly and a lot of fab work that is beyond my comfort zone.
Dave

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Spruell used to sell an adapter plate for Tilton hanging pedal setups. That's what I run. It wouldn't be terribly difficult to fabricate one from 1/2in aluminum plate. I bet Paul would sent you the diagrams so you could send it out to a fabricator if you feel uncomfortable yourself.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had checked with them some time back and they are no longer making that. I hadn't thought of asking for the diagram. I will do that. Thanks for the idea. BTW- what brakes are you running? I use the large piston fronts from the VW transporter and stock rears. If I am going to redo things I may want to change everything.
Dave

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I had checked with them some time back and they are no longer making that. I hadn't thought of asking for the diagram. I will do that. Thanks for the idea. BTW- what brakes are you running? I use the large piston fronts from the VW transporter and stock rears. If I am going to redo things I may want to change everything.
Dave
I'm running Alfaholics 6 piston calipers and their two-piece rotors, with the Alfaholics single piston calipers and stock rotors in the rear. There are certainly cheaper options out there though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm running Alfaholics 6 piston calipers and their two-piece rotors, with the Alfaholics single piston calipers and stock rotors in the rear. There are certainly cheaper options out there though.
Well I bet that hauls you down in a hurry!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
You can change to the later 105 type hanging pedals and use the comp brake balancebar unit . I am going to make a little series of those with special plate to take the clutch master too (see pics on my fb and insta Gelders Racing Team)
I have the tilton setup with hanging pedals in my racecar , my mecanic made the reinforcement needed to the body himself, not that difficult. , works very good.

I also am starting a 4 and 6 pot 105 conversion with compbrake, around 1100 euro ex vat for 4 pot and 1250 ex vat for 6 pot (without pads)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Well I bet that hauls you down in a hurry!
It sure does, especially combined with R-compound tires. The real issue was that I was having brake fade issues with my old performatek 4-piston setup (stock solid rotor). Haven't gotten it on a dyno yet, but I should be 100+hp over stock, so the loads on my brake system are quite a bit higher than most due to higher straight speeds.

·
Administrator
14,505 Posts
Just buy this: Wilwood Disc Brakes. There is no law saying the floor mounted pedal has to continue to pivot under the floor. It is a race car, do what is required to make the best solution. OR make your own brake pedal. Been there and done that. You, in NZ, can buy the balance bar bit separately; they are just welded into the pedal.

But agree, absolutely no point going to the 1750 Series 2 setup, you want adjustability
Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts