Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 86 I'm having one heck of a time removing a rear brake rotor. I've backed away the e-brake shoes, removed the two phillip screws and even with a puller it won't budge. I'm banging on the hub to try and shock it as I'm using the puller. I can see the rotor flexing as I tighten up on the puller but it's not budging at all. At this point I'm getting concerned that I might damage the rotor with the puller. Is it possible to bend or break the rotor with the puller? Are there any other techniques out there to bust it loose? All suggestions are welcome. I've run out of ideas.
Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Get some dry ice from the grocery store or a bait shop. Pack chunks of it around the hub part of the rotor and wrap it all in an old towel to keep the cold in. Don't touch the dry ice with bare hands- use leather gloves or you will get frostbite. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes so the cold can penetrate deep into the hub. The cold should make the metal contract just a little bit. Then remove the towel and dry ice. Immediately pour boiling water on the hub section of the rotor to make it expand. Then attach the puller and try to remove the rotor. This has worked for me.

-Wayne

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've used a propane torch and a few wacks from a big hammer in the past to remove sticking rear rotors.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a follow up. Last night after giving up I sprayed the hub area with WD-40 and let it sit over night. Tonight it broke loose while using the puller and a hammer. One down, one to go. The other one is soaking till tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts