Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my rear brakes replaced, new rotors, calipers, pads and hoses, but somehow the pedals feel very spongy. More so than before and I have to depress them right to the bottom before the brakes engage. I have not checked the fluid yet but I assume my mechanic had changed it properly. Does anyone else feel the same with the brakes?
Ted
1991 164L

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Probably he did not simulate weight on wheels when he bleed rear brakes and you have air in system for rear brakes.

Read my step 19 and see my LAST picture of rear axle jacked up. http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=28373

I jack up rear of car under trunk and then jack up both rear wheels under trailing arms (not suspension arms hooked to rear cross member), Brake valve in question is located at rear and middle of rear cross member behind gas tank.

You can do one side at a time by supporting body at jack points under rear doors and then jack axle at trailing arm pivot point, bleed that side install wheel and then repeat process on other side.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I have to depress them right to the bottom before the brakes engage.
Obviously he seriously screwed up:mad:. Didn't he do a test drive:confused::rolleyes:.

Bleeding :rolleyes:again needs to be done - this time correctly. He didn't mix fluids did he (Silicone with Dot 3 or 4 - or vice versa)? I'd have him (hopefully) fix it and find a real mechanic for the next repair.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts