Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe a dumb question... fitting new brake pads to rebuilt calipers on 69 spider. New b rake pads have an adhesive "layer" applied to surface that would contact piston. This is thick, almost seems metallic,. should it be removed ? Old parts are so worn, I can't tell if it was there or not. Also, best way to rotate pistons to match ATE template is? thanks, Ken

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,589 Posts
I believe those are preattached shims to reduce brake squeal, and you should leave them on.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,589 Posts
No, the friction side is where you smear the anti-squeal paste :D

(note: do not actually do this)

Ken, I usually use a pair soft-jaw pliers or channel locks with the teeth wrapped in tape. Grip the very outside of the piston at the cutout notch (outside of the dust boot and where it doesn't ride on the seals) and rotate it to get the angle right.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was able to blow them out w compressed air, and then re-orient properly. I removed the "shims" and was going to use caliper grease. I can replace them though, haven't assembled yet. Thanks all. Ken

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.