Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,
i just bought a 24v milano, and it is in desperate need of brakes (front and rear)

i am having a hard time finding rear brake pads. i'm looking for something above the standard street pad, because i plan on taking it to the track as often as i can.

any help would be great.... brakes are the last thing before i put the car on the road, and winter is fast approaching!

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Are you going to run the same brake pads on the street AND track? Or are you going to swap pads at the track?

Rear brake pads are super easy to find as they're shared with many other models...not sure where you're looking (or not looking). Difatta, IAP, Centerline, Vick, (ebay!!) have these parts.

Do you need rotors, too? What's your desired level of performance? Street or race tires?

It kind of sounds like you just need something that will hold up to some occasional laps at the track but mostly will be driven on the street.

There are definitely options for high performance brake pads for the Milano.

Andy @ Performatek is a great resource for braking stuff.

If you want to drive street and track, you might want to consider something like the Carbotech XP-8 or XP-10. They perform well at the track but are friendly with rotors (very friendly compared to any other aggressive track compound).

And, for brakes: you absolutely get what you pay for. Cheaper pads perform as such and it is NOT fun being at the track and getting that low, softening pedal and poor performance and even having to come in to the pits to let brakes cool. It's worth the extra bucks and safety to get a quality pad...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm looking for something that is suited for both, i'd rather not change pads when going to the track.
i looked for ceremic pad, centerline doesn't show them on their site, and iap doesn't have them (site says call for availability, call and nothing).

it was suggested to look at redstuff pads, but their site only shows fronts available.
will check with preformatek

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
ferodo ds2500 worked well when I was sprinting my gtv6 (have std pads in it now as it is confined to street duties)

·
Registered
282 Posts
As above.

I've not been on the track with my cars, but I have Ferodo DS2500 on my 2006 Alfa GT, and rate them highly for a 'fast street' car. I too believe they are a great choice for people wanting a mix of street and track driving.

I have bought a set of front/rear DS2500 for my 75 too, but haven't fitted them yet. I live in Australia, and bought them from EB Spares, UK, but I presume you'll find a local Nth American supplier easily enough; if not, EB Spares is a good option.

:)

·
Registered
615 Posts
EBC RED Pads

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ebc.... only make fronts

·
Supporting Vendor
4,455 Posts
i looked for ceremic pad, centerline doesn't show them on their site
We have a Carbon Metallic compound that works quite well for street and light track duty.

In our experience most ceramic pads produce low dust but not the type of durability and bite needed for track use.

The Ferodo DS2500 pads work well but compromise a little bit on the "street" part of the equation as they require some warm up and produce more dust.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I have used EBC " Greenstuff" for both track and street use, they are great on the track but lack pedal feel on the street when cold.
I used Hawk on the track, they are OK but wear quickly, one weekend used up 50%.
Andy at Performateck swears by Carbotech, and I will try them next but I don't think they are suitable for street use.
Racing pads tend to need some heat to work well so I would use different pads for street or track, at least at the front as they are so easy to change.
On the street i use pads from Centerline

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I've found that having slotted rotors helps with initial, cold pad performance (I guess it stops any glazed pad surface from occurring). I've had both EBC Greenstuff and Redstuff in 1 of my cars, as well as Australian Racebrake pads 'RB74's (which are more of a track pad) in my Alfa. Greenstuffs with smooth rotors equal poor performance. EBC Red and the Racebrake pads with slotted rotors equals very good cold pad performance and much better hot pad performance.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
are you guys getting front and rear ebc pads?
i can only find the fronts...

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
In the U.S. I could only get front green EBC which are not true track pads, that's why I've tried other options.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
are you guys getting front and rear ebc pads?
i can only find the fronts...
:confused:It sounds like you should have titled your thread "where to buy EBC pads." Have you run them? Just curious why you seem set on finding them.

Did you call Performatek?

Porterfield and Carbotech both make excellent products that meet your stated criteria of being a good streetable pad without fading at the track. Ferodo made a good track pad (I liked it there, but not on the street).

I run Carbotechs on a street-driven V6 and exercised them at the track a few weeks ago, just after bedding them. The performance was fantastic. I used to run Ferodo on that car and though the track performance was good, street feel was rather poor.

W/ Carbotechs on street tires I was out-braking others with arguably "better" brakes and better tires in the 90 degree ambient heat. This is partially due to the awesome modulation control compared to the grabby nature of other track pads I've gotten to drive. Drove home and ambient temp had dropped to less than 70 degrees in a very rainy and road-flooding thunderstorm and pedal feel was fine even with brakes very cold (and wet). So far, astounding performance. Only complaint was the slightly higher price than other offerings, but definitely glad I went with them.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I've got Porterfield R4-S's that I use on the street and like them. I've used R-4's on the track but I think for track the Carbotech's are a lot better (but not on the street). We've got Carbotech's in our Lemons Milano and it stops real nice.

Kevin

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i'm not set on finding ebc, just curious if people where running them front and rear, cause i haven't been able to find them for the back.
i've looked at the carbotech's. which model are you running for street/track use? i've hear negative reviews on their 1521 pads.
I tried giving andy a call on friday, will try again on monday. i want to ask him about doing some tranny work as well.

thanks for all the help so far... keep the suggestions coming, not just for me, but others who might find this thread

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
EBC green stuff is just for dust reduction, otherwise normal street pads.
The EBC yellow stuff is for road and track. Good initial bite and no fading when hot. And on the rear you can use Ferodo D2500, works very well too!

G.K.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I believe if you look at the rsracing website, ron doesn't use the same pads in the front and back. He's a real racer so i follow his lead when possible.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I believe if you look at the rsracing website, ron doesn't use the same pads in the front and back. He's a real racer so i follow his lead when possible.
I'll have a guess that he use of different pads front and rear, are because of the rears lacking ability to shed brake heat rather than anything else. If the rears could dissipate heat as effectively as the front brakes can, then the rears could be called upon to do more (track) work.

My comments about EBC pads are for my non-Alfa Romeo cars.
My Alfa uses non standard (Volvo 4 piston calipers and slotted 164 rotors) front brakes plus an 'in the process' upgraded, non Alfa (series 4 Mazda RX7 Turbo calipers and Wilwood vented rotors) rear brake set up (and hasn't been on the road for an age), anyway.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I'm using Ferodo DS3000 pads on the front and standard ones at the rear although I'll be putting DS2500 on the rears next time around. I use standard discs, not slotted ones. The car sees quite a bit of track use including trips to the Nurburgring and is used extensively as a "taxi" at our trackday. I haven't run out of brakes yet!

I've used DS2500 pads on the front too and they're probably the best all rounders, the 3000s give you monumental stopping even from cold but they're noisy ("squeal like a pig boy...") and they blast brake dust everywhere! They're also chomping through the discs at an alarming rate.

The rear pads are the same as the rears for 105 series cars although these don't have the funny little cutout on the back like the 75 ones. I've used pads without the cutout in the back of 75s and Alfettas with no problem in the past.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts