Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
94 Spider Veloce Commemorative, with 65K miles.
Took it in for licensing inspection and was told rear brakes needed to be replaced. I went ahead and purchased pads for front and rear. When I pulled the rears, the outside pad was down to about 1/8" of pad. Inside rears were both a little over 1/4" thick.
Front pads were like new. I only had to push the pistons back about 1/8".
All the pistons retracted easily for installing the new pads.
I can't believe this is normal wear. As for driving, I haven't noticed any pulling, or braking issues.

·
Administrator
12,565 Posts
Yes rear pads should wear evenly. Maybe a piston was stuck?
Pete

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
If you are really that concerned about it, check the centering of the brake disk in relation to the caliper on the suspect wheel. The face of the pistons on either side of the disk (when fuly retracked) should be the same distance from the disk face.

If your problem was the only problem I had on my 88 quad, I would not even worry about as this would be so minor and the cost of a set of pads is minuscule compaired to the price of so many other problems you could be having on any Alfa spider.

Count your blessings.

Robert

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
If you are really that concerned about it, check the centering of the brake disk in relation to the caliper on the suspect wheel. The face of the pistons on either side of the disk (when fuly retracked) should be the same distance from the disk face.

If your problem was the only problem I had on my 88 quad, I would not even worry about as this would be so minor and the cost of a set of pads is minuscule compaired to the price of so many other problems you could be having on any Alfa spider.

Count your blessings.

Robert
right. I wish all I had were brake wear problems....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys. I pulled each wheel, pulled the pins and springs and bled each caliper, checking to make sure there was good contact with the rotor at each location. Both pads set up fine in each case, so I'm going to go with that and recheck here in couple months. Thanks for your comments, Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts