Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a hollow, metallic sound from the front brakes on my '74. It sounds like metal on metal (but not vey loud) like when you run the pads down to the backing. I pulled the pads, they're 80%, I cleaned and lubed everything and the noise is still there. They're ATE pads so I assume that they're OEM quality.
The noise occurs just as I come to a complete stop. It doesn't happen in reverse, nor does it happen if I do a panic stop.
Anyone out there with similar a experience to share?
Thanks, RM

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Yup.

It's usually a result of glaze, the pad backing sticky material not sticking, or the bevel on the leading edge is worn down.

All 3 can be fixed in one shot after you go to the parts store and buy some disc brake pad no-squeek (usually a tube or brush on can) and some 200 grit sand paper.

Oh pick up a double cut metal file if you don't have one.

Once the are marked for orientation and removed do the following:

1) with the sandpaper on a flat surface, gently lap the friction surface of the pads to break the glaze. Go lightly, you're just trying to rough it up a little, not shave severla layers off.

2) With a pad set in a vice with it's edge that contacts the rotor first/leading edge sticking out (you know, from when you marked them so you knew which way the rotor spun through them) take the file and gently file a 45 degree angle along that short leading edge. (not stupid deep. Usually a 1/4 inch is sufficient)

3) dope the back of all 4 pads with the no-squeek, reassemble, drive. (come home and clean up the nasty mess later)

edited to add poopy drawing

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I will give it a go. Sorry about two posts, the bb said I wasn't logged in, when I logged in again it posted again.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RM here, I did everthing Tifosi suggested, noise still there. Any other ideas? Thanks

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Well crap, now I feel bad.

About all I could think of beyond that is glazed rotors, but you might better wait for someone else to confirm, deny, or just reply in general as apparently my help window is stuck ever so slightly shut.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts