Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Spider Veloce
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brake master just bit the dust and the new Mc doesn't come with the resevoir. Any tips on removing the resevoir without breaking it?

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
My brake master just bit the dust and the new Mc doesn't come with the resevoir. Any tips on removing the resevoir without breaking it?
Jeremy
Most new ones do not come with the reservoir. It should just pull out carefully. I have pried up also with a large screwdriver right at the joint. Never broken one yet.:)

There are rubber seals that you should see present on your new master that seal it. A little brake fluid to lubricate them when pressing on the reservoir should help it slide in easier.

Reactions: jerbull88

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,450 Posts
Yeah, just pry it out. Try to do it evenly on both tubes at the same time: it's easier if it comes out straight.

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
Use a 27mm open end wrench. it will slide under the reservoir and fit around the metal. Gently pry it up then do the other end. With the wrench you are less likely to damage the old plastic.

Oh. Clamp the MC in a vice to hold it.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Use a 27mm open end wrench. it will slide under the reservoir and fit around the metal. Gently pry it up then do the other end. With the wrench you are less likely to damage the old plastic.

Oh. Clamp the MC in a vice to hold it.
I thought a 1-1/16" would work Jim. :LOL: :LOL:

Reactions: joelynbeach

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
I thought a 1-1/16" would work Jim. :LOL: :LOL:
American car hack. Using inch wrenches on a metric car. No wonder you can't sweat. Probably lube the wrench with to much flux.

Reactions: joelynbeach

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
American car hack. Using inch wrenches on a metric car. No wonder you can't sweat. Probably lube the wrench with to much flux.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I figured I would get a response! Can I use flux to help the new reservoir go in?:LOL:

This is all in fun Jeremy. Don't try flux please!

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
Reactions: pantera928

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I would try to pry up on the rubber bushes themselves first and not the plastic reservoir. Depending on how hard the rubber bushes have become over the decades I'd be concerned that they might be too stiff and provide too much resistance resulting in breakage or cracking of the plastic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts