Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have said it before, you think you know every part of a 164 but something always surprises you, working on a 1991 QV (S) yesterday I noticed this unit on the bottom of the brake master cylinder, wires attached, anyone recognise it?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! Thankyou Kca, so it's a QV only thing, never really studied much into the damping suspension system, do these units last long or they a common fail item?

If this unit fails does the suspension go into fault mode?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
I haven't read anything about brake sensor failures, mostly speed sensors and I had a steering wheel position sensor fail on me. Any sensor failure will put the system in the default rigid mode and will light up the red fault light by the CDS switches on the control panel but it's also possible for a sensor to give incorrect info which will still put the struts in rigid mode but will not illuminate the fault light.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never noticed the steering wheel position sensor either, what's its location?

Steering wheel sensor part of the suspension system too?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,992 Posts
It is on bottom of steering column under the dash. Round vented drum on shaft above upper universal joint. Sensor circuit board mounted on lower end of column housing.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thankyou Steve, I will check it out tomorrow when I remove the steering shaft, your up at 0430 Steve, that's dedication to the Bulliten Board, it's 2330 here and I just landed the QV engine, not to worry, you'll be here in 19 hours when your time zone catches up, steering rack not too difficult to get to now.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,992 Posts
We fell back off DLST Saturday night. It is 0730 now. Yes, I was up at 0430 the old 0530 last week. I also voted at 0615 as it is General Election Day in America.

I posted that post at 0703 so not so early my friend for a morning rising Alfisti.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Oh, we just kicked back to Summer time a few weeks back, sun comes up at 0600 and sets at 1900, plenty of time for 164 engine removal, just noticed on this QV engine the oil cooler has been removed, why would someone do that, perhaps some part of the system got damaged, included a photo of the rear of the engine for anyone interested, another QV engine to the collection!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,992 Posts
AR164S oil cooler

My S also came to me with oil cooler removed and bypass hose like yours on thermostat housing. I had spare oil cooler and tubing and got a new set of stepped hoses and big block seal to hook it up so my S now has oil cooler system installed.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1085200-post113.html

·
Registered
54 Posts
Does anyone know the Part# for the S/Q brake pressure sensor or where you can get a replacement? It looks to be generic. The one on my Q is leaking internally.

·
Premium Member
26,992 Posts
164S suspension brake master pressure switch p/n

Does anyone know the Part# for the S/Q brake pressure sensor or where you can get a replacement? It looks to be generic. The one on my Q is leaking internally.

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
I am sure I have one laying around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts