Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did i miss anybody? Vick's is "steel" by asking.. CL is cunifer with a caveat about for Euro cars..Anybody care to chime in with a customer satisfaction rating or recommendation on these . I on'y need a few lines but I abhor the thought of flaring tools and all that noise.

·
Super Moderator
12,257 Posts
I've never used the Centerline rigid brake pipes, but I have used cunifer. When you ask about its "rating" do you mean how much pressure it can handle? I can't imagine that you could burst a cunifer line with a master cylinder + leg muscle. Heck, some people use copper tubing for brake lines and cunifer is certainly stronger than that. Cunifer has the advantage of ease of bending into shape - easier than steel and much easier than stainless.

The Centerline write-up for this kit says: This set is patterned on European models and may require modification when fitted to US vehicles that have a firewall mounted brake warning light sensor. Your had said that you only need a few lines; if these include the ones around the differential pressure switch, that could be a problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Made my own. Takes a little practice making the bubble ends but i am very happy with the result and the tools are circulating among other Alfa owners in the area making their own lines.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Made my own as well.....very satisfying little project. Caveat though......be sure to use a good flaring tool like those offered by FEDHILL....don't use cheap ones.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I elected to do the cunifer and a cheap kit recommended by a AR tech and comes with excellent reviews. Chamfering the tube is the key I was told. We'll see.and I'll report.. I know a guy who bought the Eastwood tool and it didn't perform as advertised.... so I'm really inclined to think it is all about technique. I have all the time in the world to experiment and some good hands-on pro mechanics around to advise me if I'm getting it wrong... and of course there is the net videos. I learned how to build an OVS kit with hand tools.. I can do this.

·
2,342 Posts
Heck, some people use copper tubing for brake lines...
We should just point out that copper will fatigue quickly and burst, usually at the worst moment. It is illegal to use fro brake lines it here and in many territories.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We should just point out that copper will fatigue quickly and burst, usually at the worst moment. It is illegal to use fro brake lines it here and in many territories.
Cunifer is not "copper" .. CU-NI-Fer is an alloy of copper nickel and iron with a touch of manganese and is accepted by SAE standards for automotive brake applications and OEMs throughout the world . It is far from being a short-cut .... Cunifer Tubing | BrakeQuip

·
2,342 Posts
Right. It's important to distinguish them. Cunifer has a slight orange color and is only available from specialized auto sources. It's used on new European cars. New copper tubing is, well, bright copper and you can get it from Home Hardware. Too easy to get, that's the problem. Regular steel brake lines are available from any auto parts store, if you're in a hurry. But don't cheat with regular copper tubing, that was the point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts