Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a search on this forum which has been helpful ,however my problem persists. 91 12V 164L brake lights will not go off unless I pull the 15A fuse. I tried repositioning switch on rather flimsy metal mount first, no luck, pulled switch, cleaned and it tested bad. Ordered new, installed with same results-all five BL's stay on. Forum info points to relay behind false firewall behind PS fluid tank, and relay box located under glove box. What direction should I go with this gremlin first? If the relay behind false FW is bad, is there a generic unit available to replace?
Any assistance quickly would be apprieciated as we are moving to Fresno, CA tomorrow and our internet service will cease tomorrow AM. Prego...unsafe condition for long, hot trip-at least my AC works pretty well...oops, I just jinxed myself...

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
brake lights stuck on meant for my 1991 164L that the switch at the brake pedal was misaligned (had been kicked) and car thought the brake pedal was pressed continuously. Check the plastic pedal switches at the brake pedal stem.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Oh, well. You have tried the switch route. So that would mean the sense wiring has been bodged somehow. Check the inputs to the Alfa Romeo Control box under the passenger's side footwell (LHD cars). It's not easy of access, but the wiring harness or input connectors may be your problem.

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Relay behind false firewall probably stuck if brake light switch working OK.

You can check brake pedal switch function at white-red trailer light wire in trunk under battery cover. Pedal on power at wire end, pedal off no power at white-red trailer wire brake light switch OK and relay behind firewall stuck.

Replace replace relay with generic one from auto store that shows no power to pin 87 when power removed from pin 86 as brake pedal released.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts