Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
H, sorry to ask such a basic question on this forum, but the brake lights on our '84 Spider are out. The car was checked out just a couple of weeks ago and everything was fine.

All of the other lights work--turn signals, reverse lights, and the red lights when I turn on the headlights (but these are different from the brake lights). Also, I visually inspected the brake lights and they don't appear burned out. Finally, I looked at the fuses and they seem to be ok too, but they are pretty old and it's kind of hard to tell.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should check next?

thank you very much

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Clean the contacts, replace the fuse. Clean the contacts, replace the bulb. Check the brake light switch, does it operate (move) when pedal is pressed? bypass switch.

Got a 12 volt test lamp?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
There is a switch under the dash and in front of the brake pedal, ironically enough called the brake light switch. Basically the voltage flowing to the brake lights is on all the time the ignition is on, and the wire going from the positive source for this voltage flowing to the brake lights passes through this switch. This switch is usually white or off white in color. When you do not have your foot pushing down on the pedal, this switch is in the open position - that is it is NOT passing the voltage to the brake lights. When you push down on the brake pedal, this switch closes - that is it makes contact and allows the voltage to flow through the switch and then to the brake light bulbs. It is an interuptor switch, normally open but closed when you push down on the brake pedal.

Use a 12 volt electrical probe or a volt meter and make sure you have 12 volts to one side of this switch when the key is on. Then you should be able to see 12 volts on the other side of this switch when you press down on the pedal. If you don't have 12 volts at this switch when the ignition is on, the problem is with the source to the switch. If you have 12 volts at the switch, and you can get 12 volts on the other side of this switch when the pedal is pressed, then you have an open in the wireing going back to the stop lamps, or possibly in the circuit in the lamps themselves.

The lamps have a little bit of curcuitery built into them, and when they get as old as our cars are, this citcuitery within the lamps gets kind of funky. Mostly you get a problem with a lack of ground to or within the lamps, but since you say you have all the other lights working, then you should have a good ground to the lamps.

Personally, I wire in a secondary ground wire directly to a bolt or screw in the trunk somewhere, just to make sure that I have a reliable ground to the lamp assemblies.

Let us all know how you make out on this problem.

Robert Hill in Memphis, TN

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, thank you so much for the feedback. I think I can get my hands on a 12 volt test lamp tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
what part?
10,747 Posts
the fuse you are looking for is the number 4 fuse, pull it out, make shure it is not broken, in the fuse box, it might look ok, but when you remove it, the little metal foil comes apart.. how do i know this, just fixed mine a hour ago:):):)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts