Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my brake lights stopped working. Hazards were working and stopped. Fuses are good. Any ideas? Do they run off the same relay? 1987 Spider Veloce

·
9,944 Posts
triz said:
Do they run off the same relay?
An '87 Spider, huh? All of my experience is with earlier Spiders, but I don't think there are any relays involved in the brake light circuit of an '87.

Are your turn signals working OK? The hazards and turn signals use the same "relay" (the turn signal flasher isn't exactly a relay, but is sometimes called one).

Fuses are good
Define "good". Do you mean they look OK? Or that you have verified that voltage is getting to the downstream side of the fuses? These fuses and their sockets can oxidize to the point where they look OK, but stop conducting.

It is also possible that you have two separate problems between the brake and hazards. Could be as simple as that both the hazard and brake switches have gone bad, though it would be quite a coincidence for both to fail at the same time. Will any poking/prodding of the hazard button provoke a reaction? Have you tried shorting the connectors to the brake switch (mechanical push button high up on the brake pedal under the dash)?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hazards and turn signals working after replacing with a new hazard relay. The brake lights keep blowing a fuse, would a faulty brake light switch cause this?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of the brake light pins on the harness was bent when inserting the bulb. So every time you hit the brake it would ground out and pop the fuse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts