Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got everything buttoned back up today after the huge job of replacing the brake booster on the 95 164LS 5 Speed and everything seems OK except for one thing. However, the brake lights (tail and CHMSL) are on continuously. This was not the case before I took everything apart. The factory manual is of no help. I cannot see any adjustment on the switch at the pedal. Manual manipulation of the switch makes the lights go off but let go and they come back on.

What is going on and what can I do to make the brake lights work normally? This is the last thing keeping me from putting the car back on the road.

TIA

·
Premium Member
27,000 Posts
The switch on 91-93 models is adjustable so I am sure your 24v model switch is adjustable, too.

·
Super Moderator
10,602 Posts
I cannot see any adjustment on the switch at the pedal.
I just went through this on my 164. The switch just clicks forward - there's no nut, no turning is involved. Just firmly push the switch toward the pedal - you'll hear & feel it click. 1 or 2 detents are probably all you will need. Don't push it too far, as I'm not sure it pulls back as easily.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
no there is an adjustment

the white nylon piece that does the quarter-turn to secure to the switch bracket is adjustable up and down the switch shaft. measure the distance from the bracket to the pedal pusher, and set the switch shaft length accordingly. Sometimes it takes a little fiddling but not too bad

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Trying to be helpful...

Maybe this photo of the brake switch on my '92 164-S will help...
164-S brake switch.jpg

I suspect that your switch may be bad or you may have a short in the brake wiring.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
10,602 Posts
I see two switches in the picture above. The one that controls the rear lights (at least on my '91 164L) is the one to the left rear in the photo. And that one clicks forward - it doesn't thread.

The switch on the left front of the photo does appear to have threads and a jamb nut. But what that switch controls is a mystery to me.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
The switch on the left front of the photo does appear to have threads and a jamb nut. But what that switch controls is a mystery to me.
I think that there are really 3 switches in the photograph. One for the brake lights and two (one on the clutch and one on the brake) that disengage the cruise control . No more funny silver throttle lock levers...

Mark

·
Super Moderator
10,602 Posts
.... and two (one on the clutch and one on the brake) that disengage the cruise control
Ah! That explains what the second switch on the brake does.

OK, so again referring to the three switches in the photo that you posted, the switch in the center is the one that controls the rear lights, and adjusts with detents rather than threads.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
correct

center one is brake lights.

The switch body pulls in and out of the 1/4 (or maybe 1/8) turn mounting 'ring' -- this is how the adjustment is made

·
Registered
166 Posts
im having this same issue with my Milano

Any ideas for a 1987 Milano.

Where are these brake switches located? My service manual is useless

thanks
Brad

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
No idea never even sat in a Milano. But if you look at everything thAt moves when u press the brake pedal u should find it

·
Premium Member
27,000 Posts
Milano (75) and Alfa 33 brake light swtch

Any ideas for a 1987 Milano.

Where are these brake switches located? My service manual is useless

thanks
Brad
It is adjustable and located under dash at brake pedal.

Here is picture of Milano brake light switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
At first I found the new brake light switch difficult to put on the bracket, but then I looked at the orientation on the picture and pushed the brake pedal down and was able to push on the new switch and turn it slightly to lock it into position. When I released the brake pedal I was able to hear the switch adjust (zipper-like sound). Now, my brake lights are back to normal.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
If your cruise control doesn't work, it's probably that one or both of those cruise control disconnect switches are not adjusted correctly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts