Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brake light on my 1973 Berlina is on. The brakes seem to grab slightly quicker on the right side than the left. At least the car pulls very slightly to the right when the brakes are applied. Would this make the light come on, or should I look elsewhere?

·
Premium Member
21,386 Posts
On a 73, the brake light switch is no hydraulic, but rather a mechanical switch on the pedal hanger by the steering column. It's possible it's getting hung up do to hydraulics, but it would be an indirect problem. If the pedal is returning fully to its stop when you release, the switch should be disconnecting. It's adjustable for travel, so you might check it.

To test, route around the switch; if the lights go on and off as you touch and untouch the wires together, the light circuit is OK. Then test the switch.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,386 Posts
The handbrake will not affect the brake lights. Do you mean the brake indicator light on the dash, or the brake lights in the taillights? If you mean the dash light, ignore everything I said.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I wasn't too clear. It's the brake indicator light on the dash.

·
Premium Member
21,386 Posts
In that case, it's more complicated. It's lighted by (1) low brake fluid in the reservoirs, (2) the handbrake switch, and (3) a pressure loss in one circuit causing the shuttle in the switch to move to one side. I would unplug various connectors at these locations til you determine which circuit is lighting it, then troubleshoot.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem was in the hand brake switch. It looks like a pretty flimsy switch. I bet most people leave it disconnected.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts