Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the 20 year old brake lines on the 87 Graduate I purchased about a month ago, today. Convinced the spousal unit to assist in bleeding the system. Well after going through an inordinate amount of fluid I figured air had to be getting into the system somewhere. Sure enough, started the car had the spousal unit apply brakes and there it was...a steady slow run of fluid down the servo unit at the union of the master cylinder and the servo. Is this Alfa telling me to replace the master cylinder? Are there rebuild kits available or just go new? Car is very solid, very nice, only 54.6K on the clock. Thanks.

·
Administrator
16,637 Posts
Sounds like rebuild/replace the master cylinder time...

My guess as to why it happened now is that normally the master cylinder's stroke uses only a small portion of the master cylinder's bore. When you bleed the brakes you drag the (old) seals over areas of the bore that haven't been touched in years (i.e. since the last bleeding - possibly on installastion). That might have been just enough to kill off the (old) seals.

Scroll on up to the 'Anything About Alfa Romeos' section and you'll find a 'Suppliers' thread. It is full of links to A-R parts suppliers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Eric,

Probably not worth rebuilding, its an Ate so the replacement $$ is not too bad.

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts