Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I took the brakes apart the fluid was pretty nasty and rust colored. I am now getting close to putting the plumbing back together and have a plan to flush out the system from the main reservoir.
First, fill the reservior with CLR (Calcium,Lime,Rust remover) and let it fill the brake lines. Cap them off and let set overnight.
Second, flush the CLR with denatured alcohol until it runs clear.
Finally, flush a couple of times with brake fluid.
I would appreciate tour comments. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I'd just flush them thoroughly with new brake fluid and call it good. If you are not replacing the master cylinder, be careful going past mid stroke. If there is pitting further down the stroke it could mess up the plunger seal. Or use vacuum to bleed the system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re: Brake Flushing

Thanks Larry. Actually, this plan was going to help me determine if the master cylinder needs work. I thought the CLR might kill whatever rust is in the lines.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
I would not recommend using anything but brakefluid to flush the lines because of the risk of chemical incompatibility with the rubber components.
If you suspect rust in the lines, replace them.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Gotta agree with you Jim. Plus I think CLR will carry water in. You'll never get it all out. And there are some chemicals that get really ill mannered around brake fluid.
Cheap enough to use brake fluid first and if you are still getting/seeing rust then the lines need to be replaced. Replacing them is a bit of a pain but not that hard. You'll need a tubing cutter, tube bender (a simple one is fine), and a double inverted flaring tool. (I think that's what it's called). Have fun!!!

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
CLR will NOT remove rust! The right way to deal with this is to mix some good epoxy and pump it into the brake likes with a syringe. When it hardens, pull out all the old lines and replace them with new.

;)

Robert

1 - 6 of 6 Posts