Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A nice neighbor gave me a 2002 Volvo V70 Wagon for Free! It has 160,000 miles on it but its' been garaged and has been to the Volvo dealer for every service interval according to the service book. It runs great but needs all the fluids changed, new brake hoses and pads. I've been buying up all the parts to do a summer-time total service and vendors have sent me two different kinds of ATE brand Brake Fluids - SL.6 and TYP 200. Both fluids are DOT 4 and I think the SL.6 is lower viscosity and for "Racing". Now you guys please understand that I am somewhat of a purist, with three ALFAs in the garage and I'm not one to mix brake fluids if I can flush out a system with a good single type of fluid. So, what do you guys think. Should I use the ATE SL6 (DOT 4) in the ALFAs and save the ATE TYP 200 (also DOT 4) for the Volvo? Or should I use the TYP 200 in the ALFAs and put the SL.6 in the Tow Vehicle? [ Oh.... I didn't tell you, the Volvo will tow 3200 pounds and my trailer is about 750 pounds and a my Spider is about; say 2400. and the GTV is maybe 1200 to 1500 -stripped.] What do you think.
P.S. The SL.6 can says its for racing!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,483 Posts
The SL.6 is a low-viscosity DOT 4. It's for some cars with ABS, the idea being that it helps with ABS actuation at low temperatures by not thickening as much with the cold. My wife's Mini specs that. It meets DOT 4 specs and is miscible with regular DOT 3/4 so I suppose it'll be fine.

The 200 is the ATE DOT 4 with the highest wet boiling point. If I were buying one of those two for the Alfa that's the one I'd get.

In practice it probably doesn't matter much so long as you flush the system after two years.

·
Administrator
16,993 Posts
ATE SL6
ATE SL6 – for modern brake systems
This brake fluid is ideal for ESP®, ABS and ASR. Electronic brake systems can react extremely quickly thanks to the low-viscosity texture and that improves safety.
TYP 200 says 'Racing Quality'

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys. Yes, the TYP 200 says Racing Quality. (My Mistake.) It goes in the Alfas. The SL6 goes in the tow vehicle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts