Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,
do you know what brake fluid you are using? I have to top it off.
US Spc 1750 1969. thank you

·
Premium Member
21,694 Posts
Most cars will be using DOT3 or DOT4 unless you know your car has been changed to silicone.
Andrew

·
Administrator
17,014 Posts
Are you asking how does one know what type brake fluid is in the system? Difficult to answer. One clue is that DOT 5 (aka silicone) is usually tinted purple. I don't know if that is a requirement or just a convention though.

DOT 3 & DOT 4 are usually colorless to slightly amber. And DOT 3 & DOT 4 are compatible with each other. But neither is compatible with DOT 5... To add to our confusion, the label on DOT 3 & 4 will probably say 'synthetic' - but that is just marketing - it is not silicone.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Do you know if your system has regular or silicone brake fluid in it? You can't mix the two.

Normal systems take DOT4 (Castrol GT LMA, ATE TYP 200, etc).

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all thanks for the answers. the color is yellow/slight brown.....

·
Administrator
17,014 Posts
I agree. Normal brake fluid is hygroscopic - it absorbs H2O. Over time it'll absorb enough to lower the boiling point and allow corrosion of brake parts. Flushing fresh fluid through the system every few years helps keep everything working properly. Which is a good thing as brakes are rather high on the List of Important Things.

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
Are you asking how does one know what type brake fluid is in the system? Difficult to answer. One clue is that DOT 5 (aka silicone) is usually tinted purple.
Another distinction is their smell. Dot 4 smells like cat pee. Dot 5 doesn't smell like much of anything.

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As a matter of fact I have asked but wait for an answer, the guy who worked on the car what fluid he used. Looks like I have a small leal in. the system ( will check that).
The actual liquid is new does not small at all and is way more yellow than brown,
thanks all

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
I stay with DOT4 and can still get Bendix Blue. It's blue colour is helpful when you are running new fluid through and can see the colour change. The blue additive also has the benefit of showing when to change the fluid as it changes to yellow/brown as the fluid picks up moisture. Sadly, the additive has been declared h'azardous' in the US (as if brake fluid isn't anyway) and the supplies are dwindling. The new Bendix "Blue' is now yellow/clear in the bottle.

·
Premium Member
15,865 Posts
Yup about the blue color. Used to use ATE Blu, but it was outlawed because of the color. Now use ATE 200, same stuff, but amber.

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
It’s a shame as the blue was not just a colouring but and moisture level indicator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts